Told difficult child We're Looking For A New therapist

Bunny

difficult child came back from his school trip and he seems genuinely happy to be home. He was home all of five minutes when he asked about getting privileges back after last week's episode. husband and I (although I made husband do most of the talking) told him that we were going to be making some changes. Any more episodes like what happened last week wild result in an immediate call to the police and a ride to psychiatric ER. I am not playing around with this anymore.

Then husband told him that we are going to bring a new therapist on board. OMG! The tears! He just kept saying, "But he's my friend and now I can't see him anymore." I wanted to say that that is the problem. He's not supposed to be his friend. Anyway, he never raised his voice. Never refused to go see someone new. He did ask what would happen if we saw a new therapist and didn't like him. Could we go back to the old one? My answer to him was that I haven't really thought about that.

Then I told him that I didn't want him to think of this as a punishment. His reply was "It feels like a punishment." He told me that this made him very sad. It almost broke my heart to hear him say it.

L

Liahona

He did do well taking that. I hope the next therapist is great.

I could see my kid sabotaging the new therapist in hopes of going back to the old one.

Bunny

We told him that we know this is hard for him because we know that things changing is hard for him. I tried to make sure that we acknowledged his feelings, while standing our ground about the need for a new therapist.

TerryJ2

Well, he *does* have an anxiety disorder, and that is a huge loss. All in all, I think he did really well.
Fingers crossed for the new therapist.