tomato horn worms?

nlg319

I am soooooo mad. I just went outside to look at my tomato plants. That's all I planted this year and I happened to notice that the plants looked different. They were bare and as I inspected closer, I saw these fat, disgusting worms. They have eaten my tomatoes. There is even one with white spike-like things on it's back. I am so skeeved out! I think the white things are the eggs. So, difficult child#1 comes outside and I call her over. She says very calmly,"Oh, those are tomato horn worms. People have to eat them on Fear Factor". I could barely stand to even look at them, let alone EAT them!!! :nonono:

Anyone ever had experience with these creatures????

Marguerite

I am SO glad we have quarantine laws in Australia! We have other problems with tomatoes, other pests that eat them including cockatoos and possums, but caterpillars like that - thank you but no.

Marg

meowbunny

UGH!!! Did do some research and it seems that the consensus is you squish 'em when you see 'em and best seen at sundown. TRIPLE UGH!!!

Good luck!

Marguerite

I had a look - actually we DO get something similar, I think - but I haven't seen any around here.

We get a lot of Cabbage Whites (caterpillar & butterfly) and I just pick them off and feed them to the chooks - I figure the extra protein makes for better eggs. They love caterpillars. Snails, too. Not so fond of slugs...

I like the idea of a dill trap - round our place, the dill gets eaten by snails, given half a chance, but if I put a trail of talcum powder or sawdust around the plants the snails won't cross it.

Companion planting - a cute idea but I only plant basil & tomato together so I can harvest them together. Like the old story about putting a bay leaf inside your flour jar to keep weevils away - how does THAT work when the weevils get into the cayenne pepper?

Marg

Wiped Out

Staff member
Oh my! I didn't plant tomatoes this year but usually do. I would be crushed if that happened so I can totally relate to your frustration!