Tomorrow's the big day.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
They are removing my hardware tomorrow and freeing the tendons in my wrist (from scar tissue).

I hope it goes well, isn't a mistake, and that Wee handles the day.

See ya later!

InsaneCdn

So if we don't hear from ya for a few days or more, we'll know its because you can't type?

Having said that... maybe you can at least type out "hi" as a post so we know you're alive???

Hope it all goes well!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
It went good, for the most part. Well, the important parts seem to have gone well. lol

I got to the hospital and they kept saying "we'll get that hardware out of that ankle". Just jibber-jabbery, but no one mentioned the wrist. So I finally asked. It wasn't on my chart to be done.

After the numerous incidents in the hospital of their failure to communicate, that made me REALLY nervous. The plan, as I was told, was to remove scar tissue and free up those tendons, in addition to the hardware removal. And being that I scar so heavily, I was/am a bit worried about having done this, anyway.

They finally got an "official" word that we were doing the wrist, too, and I figured I'd better confirmed the surgeon remembered what we had discussed, particularly that he'd said he'd do things a tad different because I do grow scar tissue so heavily.

An over-zealous resident just could not accept that I wasn't signing his paper til I saw the surgeon. lol And I'm glad I saw the surgeon, because he HAD forgotten that the wrist was more than just hardware removal...:groan: When we talked, he quickly remembered, but...sheesh.

At my appointment when we planned this, the surgeon AND his nurse had told me I would be able to walk out of the hospital after they did it. (PT said no way, but surgeon and nurse were confident of it) No need for crutches or anything. And I was to plan to go straight to PT for the day as soon as I was discharged to keep the wrist iced and moving to prevent scar tissue from having a chance to form again.

I got a letter last week of instructions. The letter told me TO bring crutches just in case. Ok, fine, probably a form letter. I took them.

Instead of "the plan", I came home with instructions to keep the wrist immobilized and no weight-bearing for 2 weeks!?!??! The surgeon had told husband the surgery went great and I had healed really well and he did cut out scar tissue...nothing to indicate a reason for a change in plans!!

So, I'm glad its done. I hurt, but expected it, but I sure hope my discharge notes were the result of the over-zealous resident, or I am going to be losing A LOT of ground. I lose movement in my ankle when I just don't use it much for a day!!! Let alone 2 weeks! And in 2 weeks, I'll have replaced that scar tissue...or at least have a good start on it. Grrr.

I owe this man my right foot, but really???? Obviously, my comment card from my stay didn't change much. lol

Thanks for asking!

InsaneCdn

and no weight-bearing for 2 weeks!?!??! The surgeon had told husband the surgery went great and I had healed really well and he did cut out scar tissue...nothing to indicate a reason for a change in plans!!

So, I'm glad its done. I hurt, but expected it, but I sure hope my discharge notes were the result of the over-zealous resident, or I am going to be losing A LOT of ground

Shari -
There's a big difference between "no weight bearing" and "imobilized".
I'm guessing with the ankle, the problem is really "no weight bearing".... which DOES imply that its just fine to keep it limber and moving, just can't walk on it.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, I know! But I have very limited active motion in my foot. I can't move it much without walking or some other form that manually makes it move. The wrist is to be immobilized ~ my instructions say no go on attempting to bend it at all. Just fingers.

I really think its a screw-up, but I'm following until the office opens in the morning and I can get an answer from the surgeon when he's not tied up in surgery. My nurse today said she would definitely check on it right after she read it to me - it sounded wrong to her, too.

InsaneCdn

Physio can show you how to manually move your foot (range of motion exercises, stuff like that) without actually putting weight on it.

When Mom had her knee surgery, they used a scale... she had to learn how to put "10 lbs" of pressure on the scale. THAT was how much weight she could put on that leg... not "nothing". The point was, to put the joint through normal range of motion without the weight. Maybe yours is similar?

TerryJ2

Whew! Glad it's done and glad you stood up for yourself.
I agree, no weight bearing is not the same as no motion. You should be able to rotate your wrist and ankle a bit ... if it hurts, don't do it any more. PT, here we come!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I will move the ankle as much as I can. I use a theraband almost daily, anyway. Guess my point is that it is very difficult to move without putting weight into it. The joint did not move freely prior to this and requires a certain amount of force to move it. Or a second person to wrench around on it. It works well, but it isn't a loose joint by any means.

And the orders were not to move the wrist at all - just fingers.

99% sure its a mistake. As pt said, if its that weak, they probably shouldn't have taken the hardware out yet.

Steely

Glad the surgery went well....and that you are with it enough to type and correspond with us :) If I were you, I might be laid out, unresponsive to the world. LOL.

I hope you get answers about the follow up procedures asap.....and how crazy is it that you had to remind the surgeon about the agreed upon surgery?? Geez.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Double check with doctor. You might have received "form" instructions.

easy child had no instructions after having her hardware removed. doctor just told her to "go with the flow", in other words, do what she could and try not to over do it. She didn't use crutches or a brace......just walked normally and has been fine. Although her getting back on a normal schedule at work has been frustrating. Tomorrow is her first normal 12 yr shift. She did try to push too hard too fast, but the paid brought her up short and stopped her from doing so. In the end she wound up doing what he wanted anyway. lol

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
That's what I'm guessing, Hound. Its just so dang frustrating. My entire stay in the hospital was like this. Hell, we found out I was being discharged by accident!

I had requested to be an early appointment yesterday so I could spend the remainder of the day in PT working on this wrist. This was what wrist PT wanted to do, and surgeon was on board. I was first yesterday. That's shot. My wrist person only works M-W-F... If I sit and wait to start moving it again, it kinda defeats the point of even having the surgery to begin with (except to remove the hardware). And I can't imagine the mess I'll be in with the ankle if I'm off it that long. I only have about 15 degrees of active ROM to start with - beyond that requires force from somewhere...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
On a good note, I haven't had anything more than ibuprofen since noon yesterday. Really not much pain right now.