Tools for Detaching? Difficult Child looks for love in all the wrong places.

Copabanana

Hi SG

Everybody has already said the important things and I agree with all of it. I am new at this too.

My only child is 26 and if he would have cooperated with me, I would have done every single thing you did.

Finally, I ended up here on the board, after I enrolled in the same college courses as my son, so that I could keep track of whether or not he was doing his work. I called that support. He did not.

My only defense is that they were online courses.

And if he would have allowed it I would go to medical appointments and arrange psychotherapy, and probably a whole laundry list of other things. But even I hit bottom.

So, It would be very easy for me to look at you and your daughter and say one thing or another. After all, it was me. And I would be lying if I said I have changed. Baby steps, maybe.

I have real concerns about my child: Medical, Psychiatric, etc. And he has been homeless and had a brain injury. So, I can justify or at least forgive my intrusive ways. I was terrified. I was frantic. The word anxious does not come close in my case. Forget my son's psychiatric diagnoses whatever they were. I was driving him nuts.
I just wish she'd try to place the kids at a higher priority than some dang man who often turns out to be a liar, looser, lazy
Some of us on the board are looking at our own families, our parents and siblings and the circumstances in which we grew up. We are trying to identify and work through the lasting hurts and how they affect us now, and our relationships with our kids.

My Mother never put me first. Never. It was always about her. She, too, loved men and fun. While I wish it was different, I turned out pretty good. In the long run things worked out.

If you look at life straight on, the newspaper, your friends, movies, books, nobody has a set of perfect parents or a perfect life. After all, Father Knows Best gets boring after a while.
I am trying to figure out where I went wrong
Nowhere. Except taking responsibility. Wanting to do the best thing. Wanting your child and grandchildren to have the best and be the best. High goals. And never giving up.

Supergranny, I think I know who you are. I think we are alike in some ways. But when are kids grow up, the way we have succeeded all our lives no longer works. New rules apply. Detachment Rules.

And I do not like it. One bit. But I have no choice. I was getting sick. And now that I am changing it is worse.

and work on personality issues of my own that could be interfering with the relationship with my daughter.
Supergranny, think about joining us on the FOO thread. I cringe at the idea of you thinking you have personality issues. You sound like a delightful person. Just back off. Let her go. Let it be. I know it's hard but what choice do you really have?

You are getting a therapist. If you need to divorce from your daughter in the work situation which may be the case, a therapist can help you do so. Or work it through here on the thread, by writing down needs and discomforts in the situation. You will see reflected in what you write what the truth is. It will be right there in front of you. Most of all, forgive yourself, Supergranny.

I don't want her narcissictic attitudes and expressions to affect her professional reputation, which would affect her income too.
I will add my voice here. Her professional reputation is her business and it is not your concern. Let her go. Let her live her life and learn from her mistakes. I apologize, It is so easy to see myself in others.
I do however own the house she lives in, but she does pay rent
I had been thinking of buying a home for my son to live in. My SO is Mexican and their custom is to build or buy houses for all of their children, as a rite of passage. He believes we need to be prepared for when he needs our help. And coming back home is not an option. Anymore.

I am really thinking this would be a mistake. The only way my son will learn I think is to do for himself and to experience consequences himself. And he is doing it, now. If I remove the consequences of this or that, I am taking away his ability to learn. From this way of thinking buying the house is for me, not him.
she actually admitted the car was a poor choice).
You are not her judge or jury, Supergranny. Just as she is not yours. This assumes a hierarchy of judgment and capacity. And even though you and I may believe we know best, I for one err continually. The two of you are adults, equally.

Over and over again I came to see that I disrespected my son by my constant second guessing and fear. I did not have the right to put that on him. He did not help because he constantly made me responsible. He has the right to live the best life that he can. His life. Not mine.

I am changing and it is hard for both of us. Every time I set a limit, I seem to go to far. I get afraid and feel I have lost him forever. And I fear, he may feel the same. But that's our story. You will have your own.
And then I see some stupid post she makes on social media (about the new man
Was there somebody in your early life, Supergranny, that looking back, behaved in a manner you felt to be indiscriminate or irresponsible, in the way that does your daughter?

I am glad you are here. I think you have done the hard part already. You laid it out there. Welcome.

Last edited:

SuperG

Shew. Just another episode of inconsiderate, immature behavior that hit me wrong all the way around. I can't vent much to my husband - he tells me how I need to let all of it roll off and stop getting so upset. My Difficult Child is his step-daughter so his attachment is different than mine. My anxiety over all this with Difficult Child is interfering with the relationship with my husband. We don't seem to agree on much surrounding this issue. His two children are a little younger, and both of them have struggles of their own, but he seems to have mastered detaching (at least in his mind - although he's still wanting us to buy a house to rent to his oldest).

The whole renting houses to our three children was an idea I had several years ago to help them get a start in adult life, but now I KNOW that was a stupid idea. So many of the things I thought were helpful were apparantly NOT. I've mentioned the notion of selling the house Difficult Child rents from us (although she does pay rent each month). It's now a source of stress with me.

I just get sick of watching the kids (my grands) get caught in the middle of her crap. It's clear this new man in her life is way more important than her kids. And her treatment of her soon to be ex-husband (he adopted her two youngest kids, and he even willingly takes the oldest - not his son - on visits too) is making me sick. He's a nice guy who does a decent job parenting, but she's so disrespectful of even him. I just can't figure out what's going through her head. And he puts up with her crap for the sake of the kids.

My business is for sale, and I'm praying I can keep my sanity long enough to sell it (which will make detaching a little easier). We work together 4 days a week. I've made some changes in the way we communicate, and she's noticed. She's got so many positive traits and she's a likable person 90% of the time. I stay in limbo with my emotions toward the whole situation. This is why I HAVE to put some space between us. But those grandkids.... breaks my heart to see her continually push them to the back (never spends time with them, uses unkind tone of voice with them, just basically ignores their needs) pretty much all the time.

I know my anxieties pale in comparasin to many of you, but this has been the story for all the 10 years she's been a parent. She was a young mom and I'm sure she felt like she missed much of her youth, but it was her decision to have these kids, and the decisions surrounding her relationships and parenting have been so screwed up. I keep thinking something will change, but I see no light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for letting me vent....

BusynMember

I know my anxieties pale in comparasin to many of you, but this has been the story for all the 10 years she's been a parent. She was a young mom and I'm sure she felt like she missed much of her youth, but it was her decision to have these kids, and the decisions surrounding her relationships and parenting have been so screwed up. I keep thinking something will change, but I see no light at the end of the tunnel.
You do know that getting away emotionally is the only way. Does it help your grands if you are tied up in knots? No. The grands will survive and as adults have to face their own problems. I'm glad you now think working together and having the grown kids rent from you is a bad idea. It keeps you uber-enmeshed and is not healthy for anybody. I'm sure your daughter pays a meager amount of rent and can "forget" to pay you sometimes...that won't teach her to be a responsible adult nor is working for Mom.

In the meantime, take a tip from your husband. These are adults now and you have zero, zilch control over their choices, whether you like them or don't. But you do have 100% control over how you react to them so that YOU can have a good life with your husband. You had your time raising kids. Time to let go and let God or, if you are an atheist, just let go. It will make no differnce in the outcome whether you let go (which is healthy for you) or hang on and get sick in every way. The outcome will be the same. The best thing you can do to help your grown kids act like grown kids is to back up, stop giving out any money, rental homes, jobs AND ADVICE and let them learn on their own and thrive or fail on their own so they can learn. It's unfortunate daughter has children, but they are legally her responsibility and there is nothing you can do unless you know she is abusive (and can prove it), call CPS, and try to get custody of them away from her. And the bar is very high to take children away from parents. Grandparents have no rights in most states.

Enjoy your golden years. You did the best you knew how. Now it's their turn to raise their families and you don't have to approve of them--they will do what they want to do. Just cut off the money and live and let live. You can stop your daughter from running around with men or from putting her children second. There is not one thing you can do.

Hugs for your hurting heart and remember we are here.