Tornado hit my mobile home park.

witzend

How scary! I'm glad that you and yours are all safe and sound!

We just moved to North Carolina last year and have no storm shelter. Last year we got a little bit of Hurricane Beryl blowing through, but that was the worst of it. Both of my bath tubs are in outside rooms with windows, so I'm not doing that. I finally figured out last week that my WC is a completely interior room. I wish I hadn't given husband's old USPS Pith Helmet away...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
That is a really great idea about the helmets! I'll tell my girls that one too. :)

I'm also stocking tools to dig out with too. I hadn't thought of it............someone mentioned it to me the other day. Sometimes the way debris lands it can cover your way out and it can take a while for rescuers to get to you. Phht. I plan to be digging and hacking our way out if need be. The thought of being "buried alive" is what has kept me out of basements during tornadoes to begin with.

Several years ago there were a series of really horrible tornadoes that hit my hometown all at once. My aunt and her husband heard the sirens and were headed for the basement. I can't recall why but my aunt changed her mind at the last moment and went back to get something...........by the time her husband had drug her to the basement door..........it hit while they were standing in the door frame at the head of the basement steps. Good thing they never made it down. The tornado literally picked up the whole house around them and then dropped it in the basement. They would not have survived had they been there for shelter.

At least here the door to the basement is actually outside because it's an old root cellar. Maybe if needed it would be easier to dig out of.

Still, I'll take a tornado over an earthquake any day of the week. At least you can spot a tornado coming, or recognize the signs........I couldn't handle the no warning thing with an earthquake.

Last edited by a moderator:

TerryJ2

Wow, Jody, they don't get any closer than that! Tornadoes are so temperamental, touching down and lifting up on a whim.
I am so glad you made it into the bathroom (had to chuckle about the questioning part. So typical!) and that your house/mobile home is fine.
Too scary.
Hugs.

Jody

I just went and paid the mobile home insurance for three months. I had it before but want it in place at all times. It was a scary Friday night, spent it in the bathroom, with the dog and the kitty, crying and praying. weather in our area was bad, but not like it was on Monday. After crying and saying a prayer, I went and shut all the blinds in the house, and turned on the weather radio, and enjoyed what was left of my evening. I live near the river and it is now our main threat. It has come up to the bridge and if we get anymore anytime soon, we might have problems from that. I sure hope not. Ugh. So sad about the latest victims. I have wtched those tornado chasers on tv that were killed in Oklahoma.