Total Money Makeover

JJJ

Since money is such a huge source of stress, I've decided that this fits under Healthy Living too! :devil2:

husband and I are very deeply in debt. My cousin and her husband did the Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover and are now debt-free except her house and they are on-target to have the house paid off 10 years early!

We are still working on getting a budget set (looking at what we spent in the last month was very painful, adding up what we spent on food - no wonder I'm fat LOL!).

Does anyone have any budget-minded websites or suggestions of things that have worked for them??? Any cheap-vegan eating sites or recipes?

Sue C

JJJ -- Thanks for the title of the book "The Total Money Makeover." I've requested a copy from my library. Money is a source of stress for my husband and me, too. :(

Sharon -- Thanks for the link.

sue

ShakespeareMamaX

I got a question for ya. How do you work out a budget when your husband refuses to sit down and even discuss it? I've tried ripping my hair out, but, alas...we are still poor.

Sue C

I do not know how to budget because husband works for himself and his income is soooooooooooooooooo up and down. So, how do you budget when you cannot count on the same amount of $$ each month???

sue

trinityroyal

Sue, my husband and I are both contractors, so our income from month to month and year to year varies.

When I budget, I work out the minimum likely earnings for each month, and then plan income and expenses on that basis. Extra income goes into a short-term investment fund, or to savings, or to home repairs or that sort of thing.

We also try to keep a 3 to 6 month "burn rate" fund banked in case either or both of us are between contracts.

In the past, when money has varied widely from month to month, I have budgeted based only on the steady income. All expenses to be covered by the one income, and the other variable income to to be treated as an emergency fund.

Hope this helps,
Trinity