Tough times

Malika

Thanks for the story, Susiestar :)
Yes, I am sure there is some sensory problem in some way for J. He is SO picky with food it is not true - very few things he will agree to eat, which is why he is very happy to be eating home at lunch now rather than going to the school canteen (and actually it's nicer for us both doing this, and he gets to ride his bike or go for a walk at lunchtime which is probably good).
I have an appointment with an Occupational Therapist (OT) with J the week after next. Again, I am not sure that the same level of things is going to be tested for; when I spoke to her on the phone, she just mentioned motor skills testing and seemed rather surprised when I talked about his fussiness with food, etc. This brushing sounds very good and I've an inkling it might be good for J. He loves going to the hairdresser and is one of the few times when he sits totally still and calm; I took him on Saturday and the hairdresser made a comment at the end about how it probably calms and relaxes him, having his head touched...

Ktllc

About Occupational Therapist (OT), ask her if she is trained in sensory integration. All Occupational Therapist (OT) are not qualified in sensory processing disorder (SPD). It requires special extra training hours and they don't all do it. If she is not qualified, ask if she knows of anyone. Even if she does not deal with sensory processing disorder (SPD), it will be good to rule in or out any other Occupational Therapist (OT) issues.
And I agree with pp: video tape when he is raging. You cannot go any longer without help. That is simply not fair for anyone. The therapist needs to do his job and actively work with you. Give you some practical help on how to deal with everyday challenges. Is there any predictable triggers? Maybe something you could show therapist during the appointment? Something like "J, I know you want to go to McDonald afterwards, but we just don't have time today" = meltdown= therapist sees your reality ??? I don't know if I am making sense. I'm not talking about a "trap" but something that most kids his age should be able to brush off but that will trigger J. Just a simple example of what you are going through.