Traveling magazine sales job?

CAmom

All my warning flags are at high mast, and some research on the Internet hasn't helped.

Not sure if I can name the company, but they promise big things, although they seem to be pretty upfront about the pros and cons (no pun intended...) in their online application.

I'm not so worried about my son getting hurt...we've seen his current hotel, the cars that transport the young people, and briefly met the boss.

But I hate to think that his 10-hour work days, for which he is currently receiving only a $20 a day "draw," aren't going to net him much in the end except for really sore feet.

Last edited:

CAmom

Okay...so, he's 20, and this is only his second job...his first ended after a week or so because he fell asleep on the job (takes Seroquel at night).

I've shared the negative things I've read about this business in general, and he became very defensive of this particular company. He wants this to work.

He's pretty "street smart" and has a strong personality, so I don't think there's any danger of him becoming "brainwashed." And, I don't think he'll stand for being exploited and has said that he wouldn't hesitate to get out if there comes a time when the company doesn't keep to what they've promised him and/or their customers.

He's very enthusiastic and wants to believe in what he's doing, and he feels that this will be a good experience for him. My feeling is that we should now back off and let him figure this out for himself. Opinions??

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
These things were bad news fifty years ago and they are still bad news. In fact, there've been so many legal cases against these companies that I'm surprised any are still in business.

Put me down as firmly NOT in favor of this.

witzend

I swear to goodness I call the police every time these kids show up in our neighborhood. I hope your son will be well.

CAmom

I really hate door-to-door solicitors too, but I have bought magazine subscriptions from door-to-door salesman twice and received both. So, I guess there are at least two legit companies out there.

DammitJanet

I didnt even read the links and my spine is tingling.

Our kids just want so much for things to work out. I want so much for them to work out too. I remember one job Cory supposedly got offered wanted him to come stay out of town, sight unseen, working at a place that he really wasnt qualified for...and supposedly they "had it all worked out." My mom radar was going off bigtime. Turned out that when he tried to contact them right before heading out, they could not be found. Yeah...big job is right!

I personally think they thought his name was a girls.

CAmom

Oh, man!!! Trust my son to land himself in such a potentially shady and dangerous line of work and LIKE it, so far, anyway.

Well, he's close to home for the moment, and his boss has met his dad and me in person and knows we're concerned parents.

I think, once payday (which sounds as though won't actually happen) comes along, and he sees only numbers on a page, he'll see the light. Right now, that $20/day is barely keeping him in food...

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Well, he's close to home for the moment, and his boss has met his dad and me in person and knows we're concerned parents.

Unfortunately that will mean squat once they board the bus/minivan...the operative word here being TRAVELING magazine sales job. :(

Suz

donna723

I've heard of these kids being abandoned by the company sometimes, out in the middle of nowhere, and being left to fend for themselves.

Mattsmom277

Please make a plan for him to know how to call collect from any phone, any where. Give him a back up person to contact if you are not at home to answer the phone. Also, tell him that if this is a scam job and he is ditched somewhere, you will NOT enter into I told you so's. That he can live and learn and hope for the best, but you want him prepared for the worst in case he was too hopeful and too trusting. Make a plan that he is aware if needed you will fund a bus ticket home and he can and will pay you back at his next job, which he can start looking for a day or two after getting home.

I really think it important that he knows if this does fall apart, he can call you for help in a bad situation without him worrying he'll have to eat crow. thats a hard pill to swallow. And hey, he is excited about work. That is a definite upside to this shoddy sounding job. If it doesnt' bite him in the butt, GREAT. If it does? I wouldn't want to put him off future work related motivations out of bruised ego ;).

DDD

Our "hippie" easy child son did this for a summer. It was not what he expected as the hours were extremely long and the money was extremely short of the expectation. His periodicals included Bibles and religious materials as well as the standard. He traveled for two or three months. He came home broke. on the other hand, he honestly did learn alot about life. Throughout that time he rarely called home but he did have a toll free number for us so we knew he wouldn't feel abandoned. Oddly he did learn some important life lessons
that seemed to toughen him up for adult reality. DDD

CAmom

Hmmm, lots to think about.

I'm not too worried about his safety so far. He has a mobile phone and keeps in contact via phone calls and texts several times a day. So far, he's only an hour from home, and their next stop is only two hours away, and he'll be there for a couple of weeks, so, if worse comes to worse, we can go pick him up if things don't work out.

We never do the "I-told-you-so" thing with him. We've taught him that that all human beings make mistakes, and everyone deserves a second chance (well, not the Ted Bundys and Scott Petersons of the world...). So, if he decides to bail, we'll chalk this up as experience.

He seems to have a good grasp of what's going on and doesn't seem to have unrealistic dreams of becoming another Donald Trump anytime soon.

Well, keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best...

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Well, the good news is that he is employed and that you and husband have some alone time- both are very good things and what you've been hoping for and working towards for a very long time. I hope it works out for everyone concerned.

Suz

CAmom

Well, Suz...HE thinks it's good for him which I don't get....walking door-to-door, 10 hours a day, 6 days a week for about $30 a day??

He made more living at home, helping out his buddies on the odd job and house and petsitting for us once or twice a month. Dare I believe, even for an instant, that he's actually reaching for some degree of independence, FINALLY, and doesn't feel very good about himself, "mooching" on his dad and me, which he told told us were the main reasons.

Well, my boy is great at talking the talk but not walking the walk, but I suppose there's a first time for everything.

Plus, I figure, if nothing else, this has gotten him out of his baggy pants and oversized T-shirts because he's been told and now believes that "Dressing that way is inappropriate, for a 20-year old, working man, Mom." Well, DUH!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Just make sure he understands that a "draw" for a commissioned salesperson is a LOAN. He's borrowing against future earnings and it is possible to quit and find yourself owing money to the company.

husband sold shoes once upon a time and this is how it worked. My dad sold insurance and his draw also was against commissions.