Travis is at College

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We moved him in on sat. Nichole and her boyfriend helped. Really really nice apartments furnished except for tv. I had a rough few nites wondering how he would get along with his roomates, but he says they're all nice and ok.

He went to his first class today. Called me on his cell to let me know his minutes were loaded onto his phone and to give me his phone number and address.

We're taking him a care package on sat........easy child is coming along cuz Darrin is missing his uncle Travis something fierce. lol We'll be taking up the rest of his clothes, his tv, and some groceries.

So far so good.

Nichole moves out tomorrow and thursday. :D

Well on my way to being an empty nester. I hope to high heaven my bills drop accordingly.

Miss you all.

((hugs))

slsh

member since 1999
Lisa - tears in my eyes. I'm so absolutely delighted for T. I hope that these will be some wonderful years for him.

Nancy

That's wonderful news Lisa. I am thrilled for both of you, what an achievement. My difficult child just started college and I know what a big step this is. Please keep us updated on his progress.

Nancy

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Lisa, I'm just so dang proud of Travis. He wanted this and he DID IT- every single step. :bravo:

I hope this is the beginning of a wonderful experience for him....and the beginning of (almost) empty nest for you.

Big hugs,
Suz

everywoman

I am just so proud of both of them I am "'bout to bust." What an amazing testament to what being a Warrior Mom is all about. If you can't tell, I'm proud of you, too. If you had not been there, in the trenches, fighting for them and with them, they would not be moving on to their own lives. Yeah Lisa!!!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
SWEET!!!!!

Daisy, just so's ya know, lots of good stuff near that college. Mall, theater, lots of restaurants, parks, museums... And the Greek Festival and Popcorn Festival are this weekend too!

PM'ingyou, too. :D

Lisa,

I haven't been around much. It is so nice to drop in and find wonderful news!!! I'm so proud of Travis!!! It is amazing how well he is doing!!! I know you have lots to do with this - I know what a wonderful warrior mom you are!!! You NEVER gave up on him. And, he never gave up on himself. I'm just so happy for him, for you!!!

And, I had no idea that Nichole is moving out either. I'll have to do some catch up reading. Anyway, I hope she is happy and doing well...

And, what's this - You're finally going to be an empty-nester??? ENJOY!!! YOU HAVE EARNED THIS!!! (What an understatement, lol...) SFR

P.S. So when is the party??? I'll bring Margueritas, salsa and chips...

skeeter

I know he'll just love the college! Now, don't you celebrate TOO much with your new found freedom (I know, I know, you have school...)

Fran

Former desparate mom
Congratulations to T for achieving a goal. I still believe the closer we can keep our kids to their peer group the less invisible or ostracized they will be.
Let him do the work and enjoy the fun as well as manage the mistakes.
If he can complete one semester then he can work on the next one.
One of the problems young people have is that they think if they fail at one thing or make one mistake that it's over and that they can't recover. He is going to stumble. Do stupid things and basically do what all the other kids do.
Hugs to him for not letting all forms of obstacles stop him.
You should be proud of him Daisy. He will be an amazing adult if he is given the chance to socialize, study and fall down like his peers.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, ladies.......................

Travis is *drum roll please* socializing!!! Imagine. lol He really likes his roomates. And the boy from Turkey is also legally blind and uses a cane. I personally think that's a huge bonus for Travis to been around someone else who is visually impaired. They hang our together alot and went to the Dayton Mall today on the college's Magic Bus. (on weekends the college transports them to different destinations for free) Another roomate is willing to take both boys where ever they need to go.

Travis has gone to several student gatherings already. :) Loves his psychiatric class. And on thurs easy child is taking up his IEP so the disability office can get him set up. He's discovered note taking is not easy. lol So maybe they can help him get a mini recorder. He used to have one but I haven't seen it in years.

Socializing is easy. They offer free food to students. :rofl: And when you're basically living on Ramen and poptarts.......free food is like someone offering you gold. lmao

When we saw him today his room was spotless and organized. So off to a good start anyway. He and the other blind kid plan to memorize and use the bus system. They're supporting each other.

You know.....The blind leading the blind......:rofl: Ok....so lousy joke but it just popped into my head and I couldn't resist. But Travis helps this kid with his english, and the kid lets Travis use some of his computer accomadations. :)

Nichole is moved out and I'm offically an empty nester. For full details read my post over in WC. Using easy child's computer I hate to repeat it all as half the time I wind up erasing what I wrote and get too frustrated.

Miss you all tons.

((hugs))

N

Nomad

Don't know all the details, but from what I can piece together...this sounds GREAT!

Wishing Travis all the best!!!

And love your attitude!!!

Happy empty nesting and crossing my fingers for lowered bills on the homefront.

goldenguru

Good for Travis. Good for you. Give yourself some time to adjust to his absence. It can require some time.

FYI: We found the college years to be the most draining financially. Seems like they always need, need, need something. Maybe Travis can get a part time job on campus? That really helps with the nickel & dime stuff. Food for thought.