Travis Update

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
He is home for xmas break. He made it thru his first quarter of college. :D

Travis didn't pass english. His computer crashed while finishing 2 papers for the class.......he tried to hand them in late and the professor refused to accept them. So he'll be taking it again. I told him to hold on to those two papers he never got to turn in.......might save him some work in the future. lol History.......he's worried he didn't do well on the final but he'll have to wait until grades are in.

While I hope he did well in his other classes, this isn't all about grades for me. He's done well living on his own for 3 mos, budgeting his money, getting to class, and getting along with his roomates.

For me this is a practice run on how he'll do living independently, and so far he's doing ok at it. Classes, on the other hand, can be retaken. And the school has freshman forgiveness..........not sure what it means, but I think if they take the failed classes again before their freshman year is up and pass that the original grade won't count against their gpa.

He seems glad to be home. And I had to LOL. The no smoking in his room rule is no longer an issue after having to stand outside to smoke (regardless of weather) all the time up at school.:tongue:

Fran

Former desparate mom
Excellent news!!!
He needs, as does my difficult child, to learn to make a back up plan so there are no excuses. I'm pretty sure college libraries have computers for students to use. Likely he waited until the last minute.
When difficult child gives me his song of woe about how things broke, didn't show up, forgot I prod him firmly in that there are no excuses for not coming up with a solution. They are smart but have poor planning and they whine when things don't work out and all adults don't say "poor baby, he is disabled. I'll give him a break" I really dislike that in difficult child and easy child. It's a maturing process that when they learn that they are accountable and acting like it's someone or something else is at fault doesn't fool anyone.
I'm shocked that he smokes with him being in a smokeless dorm and being really frugal and on a tight budget. Hardly seems worth it. He is young, he can quit. : )

slsh

member since 1999
Lisa, you must be so proud of him!!!! I'm just grinning ear to ear here. This is just so fabulous for him - and I agree, it's not so much about the grades as it is he did this on his own. I am so tickled for him!!!!

(by the way, I myself did not survive the first college quarter - it was too much freedom and down time and ... I don't know what, but I hightailed it out of college after about a month, so Travis' accomplishment is really quite huge to me! ;) )

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sue I think that's the reason behind freshman forgiveness. lol Lot's of kids have that problem. ;)

Fran, we've discussed his quitting, and he gets lots of encouragement........but evidently it's a no go still. I wish he would. He doesn't smoke alot as it is.......and I keep telling him to quit now before it becomes a major issue. sigh

Mattsmom277

What a great update! I agree that the classes can be retaken. Especially easy to look past a failing grade when he sounds to be making incredible progress into independence and being responsible for himself. That is the goal right? Adults who take control of their lives and learn from mistakes along the way. Freshman forgiveness sounds a good thing. I believe plenty of freshman struggle a bit in terms of grades. It is a huge adjustment to be on ones own and also concentrate on a new type of schooling in a college environment.

I hope you share a great holiday together!