Tried Firefox instead of IE?

Marguerite

husband has more specific detail on what is incompatible with what, but he made sure our set-up was thoroughly self-compatible. As far as possible, we are Microsoft-free. Somewhere I have Microsoft Word locked away in a little compartment for when a client sends me a file that is particularly tricky, but a year or more could go by and it wouldn't get used at all.

For the 'Net, we use either Apple's Safari, or Firefox. difficult child 3's online maths works best with Firefox (or IE, which Microsoft no longer supports for Macs) and the kids prefer Firefox for their Gaia play. For CD - either works equally well, I've got you lot bookmarked on both.

I can't recall when we last had a virus infect our computer - 10-15 years maybe? husband has problems at work because he deals with a vast amount of international communication and his mob are often among the first in the country to 'find' a new infection. So he's got to be darn good at keeping work computers safe and cleaning them up ASAP. His worst nightmare is a uni student coming to him and saying, "I haven't done a back-up for six months and now my computer is infected and I think I've lost my entire PhD thesis. It's due in next week. Can you try and rescue it for me?" I think he wakes up screaming with that one.

PS from Marg's Man:
We use a mixture of Macs and Windows at work. The windows machines need VERY tender care to avoid viruses (daily updates of viral software; scans whenever the machine is quiet) and we still get infected about twice a year. Apart from a few diehards, we have given IE away except for those sites that won't work with other browsers, and we avoid those if possible. All the GOOD sites are not IE only anyway.