Tried something new

Wiped Out

Staff member
last night. We had dinner plans with friends and weren't leaving until about 6:45. Usually one of the friend's daughter babysits when we go out with them. The past couple of nights though difficult child has been falling asleep around 7:30 and the family lives about 20 miles away.

Since once he has had his final medications of the night he is usually fairly calm and he had had a couple of good days overall, we decided to try and let easy child watch him. We offered to pay her $10.00 to watch and him $5.00 to behave. We had our cell phones and weren't far from home.

All went great! He fell asleep watching the movie that he had on when we left. easy child said he was great. We wouldn't do this all the time-a lot depends on how him and if it seems safe to do it but it was nice for the night that it worked out!

DammitJanet

How wonderful that it worked out great!

I used to have to leave Cory and Jamie alone together sometimes out of necessity. I had no one to watch them while I worked in the summer and daycare stops at 11 here.

TerryJ2

I know the feeling of "should we or shouldn't we." :smile: Glad it worked out. And you get the keep the $ in the family, too. :smile:

Andrea Danielle

How exciting! It is a great feeling when you find something that works. That is huge for us parents of difficult children, not so big a deal for families of PCs but it means the world when life is so challenging and you find something good:)

jannie

trying to survive....
I love the fact that you don't have to run 20 miles to get the babysitter--So happy it's working for you--

kris

<span style='font-size: 14pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #3333FF"> i'm glad to hear it worked out so well.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

LittleDudesMom

Sharon,

Been there! I remember the first time I had easy child watch difficult child. It was more an issue that he would be better for a stranger than he would for his sister (respect the sibling kinda thing). But, it worked and opened up a whole new world!!!!

Sharon

Sharon, It's great that you were able to let easy child watch difficult child for an evening!!! I hope you're able to do this often!!!

Unfortunately, with two difficult children, it's still impossible for husband and I to leave them alone in the house. Our easy child is the youngest and even though she would be okay home alone, she wouldn't be able to control her brothers if they got out of line.

I've been dreaming of the day I can get out with husband and leave the kids home alone... For now, it's just a dream... Maybe someday...

It's amazing what parents of PCs only take for granted. I know this is a major milestone for you. I've got all body parts crossed that you can enjoy this bit of freedom often!!! WFEN

Marguerite

When husband & I went to the wedding last Friday, we were able to leave difficult child 3 with easy child 2/difficult child 2. We've gone out at other times and left difficult child 3 on his own, but not at night unless we've been nearby and he's already through most of his evening routine. He is increasingly more capable but he does get very anxious if he has to do something new. He still likes a lot of things done for him, especially in the evening.

As they get older it gets easier. At least, the babysitting issue.

Marg