nvts

He's driving me nuts! Have any of you been given trileptal for aggression? We got the rx today and was going to give it to him tonight, but I'm reading this stuff and it's scaring the ever-loving **** out of me!

HELP!!!!

Beth

klmno

difficult child tried it for a short time-I can't remember whay it didn't work, but he was quickly removed. He's on risperdal prn for mania/agression/agitation/anxiety now. (This along with regular doses of lithobid and depkote er). All of them have side effects and I guess the effectiveness depends a lot on the individual system.

Is he on other medications too?

susiestar

Roll With It
Wiz was in the psychiatric hospital when they gave him htis. He was taken off it while still in the psychiatric hospital, so I don't remember it being useful for anything. I hope it helps. Aggression is no fun to live with.

smallworld

My kids have not taken Trileptal, but I know it is an anticonvulsant/mood stabilizer used to regulate moods. It is frequently rxed for younger children because the side effect profile is relatively positive for this class of medications and it does not require blood draws (the way other mood stabilizers do).

What is concerning you about what you're reading about Trileptal?

Your difficult child's Abilify dose is still relatively low. Was there any thought to increasing that before adding a different medication?

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
difficult child II was on Trileptal for almost 2 years, I found everytime the dose changed he was very irritable for a good 2 weeks or more. over all I never felt it help him very much, if course I feel the same about the abilify. The Clonodine is the only medication where I actually saw a difference. Praying for you

mom_in_training

My son is on Trileptal for his seizure disorder. He is also taking Keppra. He went from happy go lucky always laughing to mad at the world the first year of starting the Keppra but thank god he mellowed out. When he started the Trileptal a lil over a year ago I saw no difference in his demeaner. I guess its just a matter of what medication will work for one might not for another.

Steely

Every child is different. Trileptal is in the same class of medications as Depakote, Tegretol, etc. For some I know Trileptal works well.

For my son, he actually had a psychotic reaction to the Trileptal, ended up in the ER, and we d/c'd it immediately. Not such a happy story, but in my opinion, this can happen with any medication, and child. Sometimes, it is just not the right chemistry mix.

jannie

trying to survive....
My son has been on trileptal since the beginning of kindergarten. He has just started third grade. I do recall that the first 8 weeks was quite challenging. Each time we upped the dosage his behavior worsenned for a few days....I recall thinking that this is worse than before, however I remember everyone telling me it takes 8 weeks to be at a therapeutic level...so I hung on. It really has helped. We also added abilify halfway through the year and the combination seems to really work. We've slowly increased the dosages over the years. I believe it does cut down the agression. It worked well for us.

I must say, however, that we are actually in the process of eliminating the trileptal...this process is scaring me to death...and adding lamictal instead. I'm surprised to say that it hasn't been as bad as I expected so far, however I know that although the dosage has been cut down it is still in his system and providing some support.

Good luck

Beth,

difficult child 1 has been on trileptal for about three years now. He was initially given trilptal to help with his over the top moods - ranging from extreme aggression to totally over the top silliness. He is an Aspie and is also bipolar. The psychiatrist added Abilify about a year ago. The combo of the two medications definitely help stabilize his moods and control his aggression. In fact, without these medications, there is NO way he would be able to live with us.

All kids are different and difficult child 1 is 17 and 1/2 years old. However, we've had nothing but positive results from the Trileptal. If you decide to give it a try, I hope you get nothing but positive results too.

Thinking of you... WFEN