Truvia, Stevia, DO you use an artificial sweetener/what's the best?

Jody

I have fibromyalgia and find that sweeteners really make my joints ache and I have more attacks when I use them. The latest being Stevia. After the first week using it, all the aches and pains were back, I quit a week and I am not aching and not feverish, no flu symptoms. I no longer drink soda (addicted) at all, and I want to drink tea. I think green tea would be the best way to go, but I truly can't stand it. This morning I started Truvia. I did just use regular sugar for my tea last weak. Putting in a teaspoon isn't that many extra calories and I didn't have any side effects. If Truvia doesn't work for me, I will have to start adding about three teaspoons a day to get my tea fix. Anyone have any information or ideas for me? Thank you.

if sugars dont work for you, what about honey? that might be easier to tolerate.

good for you for doing away with soda and the junk thats in it--im trying to do the same here, but the kids aren't buying that seltzer tastes good!

I don't have fibromyalgia but I do have arthritis. I don't like Sweet & Low or the stuff that comes in the blue packets (Equal?). The main ingredient in these, Asparteme?, can't spell, leaves an aftertaste if I use it in green tea or coffee - Don't seem to get the aftertaste in popsicles, fudgicles, etc... I've been using Splenda for years and haven't tried any of the newer sweeteners yet - Probably because I can get it by the case at a local warehouse/shopping club at a really good price. I like confuzzled's idea about using honey. I'm sure it's much healthier than using anything artificial. SFR

H

HaoZi

I don't have any issues with the sweeteners, I'll use all of them and mix them as well (seems to cut down on the aftertaste). My only complaint on Splenda is that it takes as much of it as I would use of sugar and it's expensive to start with.
If you can't use any of the artificial stuff, try honey or agave nectar. Both are sweeter than equal amounts of sugar and healthier, too.

Mom2oddson

Jody, In my in-box today was an article about sweeteners. It's as follows:

Is Brown Better?
by Leanne Ely, C.N.C

I remember eating Weber white sandwich bread when I was a kid. I'd come home from school, grab a slice, yank out the middle and squish it into a small, firm white "bread" cube and eat it with relish. I think back now on those times and am completely grossed out. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I grew up on white bread. Later on, my mom switched to a wheatberry bread and I loved it and wasn't even aware that it was a healthier alternative to the white squishy stuff I was raised on.
<http://savingdinner.com/wp-content/uploads/IsBrownBetter.jpg>
I often admonish my listeners of my radio show <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=9nUC3&m=3hdAbPxcXK.m5_l&b=m75J6PvMRtanNZ1s3TQicg> to choose brown over white--brown rice, whole wheat flour instead of their white counterparts. Brown rice has the bran still intact which lends fiber to the rice. Whole wheat flour same thing, as well as some important B vitamins. But without exception, someone always wants to know about sugar--brown vs. white or which substitute is better?

The answer should be none. We are a nation addicted to sugar in all forms and finding an appropriate substitute is a sticky wicket in my mind...shouldn't the answer instead be to learn to go without that sweet taste? With diabetes on the rise and the implications of the sugar/inflammation connection, sugar is an enemy of huge proportions.

But all things in moderation, right? I have to tell you how much I hate that saying! Would you say that about eating rat poison or something you were deathly allergic to? Of course not. There are times in life where we need to simply buck up and understand that we need to step away from something that is causing great harm. Yes, sugar can and will do that to you!

Another question I've been asked repeatedly is for a good sugar substitute for baking. When I think of baking, all I see are cakes, cookies, muffins/cupcakes, quick breads and pies. Let me ask you...if you're sitting on any kind of body clutter or are dealing with any health issues, haven't you baked enough? So again my answer is none; there is no sweet substitute that is safe because sweet isn't "safe"; it manufactures fat and inflammation in your body. Sure you're going to make pie for Thanksgiving and birthday cakes for birthdays--enjoy the smallest sliver and call it a day. Reserve any kind of sweet for the rare special occasion and make it a tiny piece or a few bites. If you're a true "junkie" and can't take just one bite without a binge, than stay far, far away!

I have even cut out xylitol from my diet as I don't need to taste sweet anymore by adding anything. (Xylitol is a safe sugar substitute; a sugar alcohol, check out xylitol.org). Sweet translates to fat for me; fat on my body that I don't need. So messing with xylitol or stevia just isn't wise for me--I'm done with it all.

You may not adopt my policy on sweet and maybe this post even made you mad! If so, there's a reason why--I've touched a nerve; perhaps you're addicted to sugar? I invite you to rethink your allegiance and defense of baking, eating sweets and "all things in moderation". There's too much at stake with your health!

Hope that helps. I liked the link from HaoZi. I'm going to spend some time looking at that site. Today is my sixth day without any sugar (except what is in fruits and veggies), without coffee and without anything processed. The only processed items I'm eating is Dave's Killer Bread (a couple of times a week) and store bought hummus because I haven't ventured into trying to make my own. Out of everything - sugar is the one that is killing me. It is the hardest thing to quit.