Trying to keep 1st gr. son from alt. school (for 2nd time) - a mother's vent for help

pepperidge

have you read Ross Greene's book Lost at School--as a teacher you will find it very interesting and as a parent of your child dealing with a difficult teacher you will find it very very helpful. Read it as soon as you can. Really.

I hate to say it but it sounds like your son needs a different teacher ASAP.

Isn't TX notorious for being difficult on IEPs? I am not sure you are going to learn very much from a school evaluation if he doesn't have an obvious learning disability.

Hugs.

BusynMember

I think you should revisit Aspergers. No two kids look alike and teachers really are NOT trained to test for it (yes, there are tests). This in my opinion is way more than ADHD. This child is trashing an entire classroom. I have a daughter with ADD and she would never do that...EVER. My son with high functioning autism has never even done that. in my opinion he needs to be evaluated completely or he WILL end up in an alternate school. He is unable to deal with all the stimulation of a classroom and I agree with Marge...I think he is vocally stimming. Good luck, whatever you decide to do! :)

Marguerite

As yu said, MWM, all kids are different. My son with High-Functioning Autism (HFA) certainly HAS managed to trash the room - the school assembly hall! As for my Aspie son - he was the withdrawn one, difficult child 3 (the allegedly fully on the spectrum kid) is the outgoing one who can mentally multi-task, has some amazing skill areas, has tested at genius level IQ and loves people. Also loves poetry and can write well. Sometimes it can be really hard to recognise - we've had school staff as well as a lot of family & friends who insisted there was nothing wrong with either boy. Until they saw it for themselves later on...

difficult child 1 clearly had problems, at his first school. I warned his next school but after he started there, they said they couldn't see it at all. He thrived there, did well. I think they didn't see it because the principal's son was a prominent student there, and I'm certain he was very Aspie. He and difficult child 1 became great buddies, inseparable. These kids will 'find' one another and form very strong bonds. It's as if they recognise something of great value in each other, can see the good. And if this is Asperger's, then once the anger and frustration is out of the way, these are good, honest, law-abiding kids who really want to fit in.

As I also mentioned before, it is also possible to have some partial cross-over into Asperger's traits without the full-on presentation. It IS a spectrum, after all!

The "law-abiding" stuff - it goes both ways. Other people, especially those in authority, are expected by these kids to also follow the rules, especially their own rules. So if a teacher has said, "If yo do A you will earn B" and then fails to follow through AS THE CHILD UNDERSTANDS IT, then there will be big problems. It seems to me that this teacher is falling into this trap and not paying sufficient attention to her own promises.

Marg