Trying to sell my van... I love my van (sniff)...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I got my '99 Astro van cleaned up last month to get it ready to sell. It's old. It's a gas hog. And husband bought a new car in September and we really don't need three.

But I really do like driving it, despite the rattles and dings and little annoying stuff that's broken on it (like the glove box, and the missing radio knobs, and the passenger door window button that husband broke). It's just so dang handy to have. Like tonight, when I decided to go buy the new water heater because our other one has been leaking for a few months. husband took the seats out so we could just slide the whole thing in. Perfect! Saved a delivery charge.

And when the kids are bugging the crud out of eachother I can put one in the back, one in the middle and one up front with me -- problem solved!

So I had the carpet and upholstery washed, the dashboard got a dose of armorall, the outside got a good wash and light wax. It doesn't look half bad now. Almost all the strawberry shake stain came out of the carpet. There's nary a mouldy french fry or squashed Skittle to be found in it! I'm actually not afraid to open the sliding side door anymore for fear of what might fall out (dirty sock, nosebleed tissue, fast food wrapper, etc.)

Last week I got a window marker and wrote my For Sale info on it, and listed the latest refurbishments I'd made: new tires, brakes and shocks. Wrote our phone number and a plea to "Make Offer!"

Wednesday, one of the workers who was here removing our attic insulation that got contaminated during the brushfire asked how much I wanted for it. We went back and forth and he gave me his bottom line and I countered with mine ($700 below Blue Book value for it's current condition). His offer was $500 below my bottom line. He said he'd think about it.

Then a guy painting nextdoor was asking about it, too! I told him my high end price, but didn't get a huge reaction. He didn't even counter.

Then we got TWO phone calls tonight asking about it. One guy wanted to trade us his used Jeep he just bought for roughly what we were asking. (Sorry, don't NEED three cars -- NEED MONEY!) Another guy called and grilled me on it's condition. Said he'd think about it.

husband just wants me to unload it. But I just put $1,000 into it with the recent repairs, and I LIKE it, so I don't want to just give it away. That's the car we bought the month before easy child was born! The car she came home in from the hospital! Sniff.

But on Friday... it nearly wouldn't start. It finally did, but I think the starter is going out. So I may have to either get that fixed and keep it a while longer, or factor it into my bottom line and discount it heavier if I don't get it fixed (although, I may be forced to soon).

I'm still trying to figure it all out. Oh, I just wish someone would come along and pay what I want and be done with it all! (I know, I'm a dreamer, what can I say).

Okay, well I just needed to get that off my mind so I can go to bed...

F

flutterbee

Awwwww, you're sentimental. How sweet! You know, if you sell it to the painter guy he's going to use it for work and he's not going to take sweet, tender care of it.

I've had my current car for 7 years. I've never had a car this long. It's been a PITA in a lot of ways, but I'm attached to it - and I'm not really the sentimental type. There's a certain comfort with it, even though I don't trust it in snow and I don't trust it on long trips. It broke down on me 100 miles from home, with 3 kids in the car, in severe weather complete with tornado warnings. It couldn't do it closer to home. Bad, bad car! At least it was still under warranty, though (a whole 250 miles left on the warranty. LOL) But, it's been with me through a lot. And I own it outright, now. I've never had a car long enough to pay it off. I always traded for a new one after 2 years because I always put a lot of miles on them. So, it's really all mine.

I hope you get a new owner for your van sooner rather than later. I'd hate for you to have to put more money into it.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
OH I understand sentimental about vehicles. I didn't get rid of my car (Saturn) until it actually blew up. It takes a lot for a motor in one of those to do that. I didn't get hooey for it after that. So the moral here is don't wait tooo long to sell it.

hugs
beth

Andy

And it is even harder after it receives a great deep cleaning job!

I saw on Good Morning America this morning that dealerships are offering very good unheard of offers. One place you buy one vehicle, you get the 2nd for free.

I think it is hard to find time to go vehicle shopping and even harder to find that one vehicle that "fits" us so well. That is why it is hard to part from it.

Even kids get attached to vehicles. When we traded our small car in for a van when difficult child was about 4 years old, he started asking after a few weeks when we would get the car back. He was upset that we had gotten rid of it.

susiestar

Roll With It
It is HARD to let go of a vehicle you really like. I am sorry you have to get rid of it. Any way you could keep it just for those times you need to haul something? Or maybe for extra storage?

My mom has an earlier Astro van and she just bought a brand new Honda Civic. The new car is great, but she is used to ahving all that space. My dad has a PT Cruiser and you can haul a lot in that. But not in a civic. She has decided to keep her van because she just LOVES it. It has had a lot of work over the years, but still, it is really really nice to have a van.

klmno

I vote for keeping it- you know WE do need transportation to get us to that island get-away - just ask Jennifer!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I know I should unload it. Although it has had a lot of things replaced already in the past few years (water pump, fuel pump, fuel injectors, tranny @ 40K miles, alternator, brakes, shocks, tires), there are a few biggies that will need replacing fairly soon, too (starter, serpentine belt, differential) because it's got 122K miles on it now.

I guess I'm just feeling like I need to either get my price for it or my use of it for what I've put into it in the past few months. And it's hard to find full-size vans anymore, so I think that with all the interest in it lately, if I continue to drive it (especially around neighborhoods where there are more people who can do their own auto repairs or have the types of jobs that could use a vehicle like this) I just may get what I want for it.

I think I'll give it until Spring... that's when the licensing is due again. If I don't get a decent offer by February, I'll start considering whatever comes my way.

Either that, or I'll make a road trip to Belize with all of you....

donna723

I understand perfectly how you can get emotionally attached to a vehicle. I've done it myself ... I still mourn the brand new yellow 1967 Mustang that I was forced to give up when I got married the first time! In hindsight, I would have done so much better to keep the car and get rid of him! But I know exactly where you're coming from. You see that van and you see all the memories you have of your kids that you associate with the van. It reminds me of a lady who was on one of those home improvement shows. She cried buckets when the new owners painted over the doorframe where she had marked the height of her children over the years, and I don't blame her.

You have to face it that you may not get all the money out of it that you put in to it. Looking at it as unemotionally as possible, the trick is to get it sold before some other expensive repair needs to be done because that would just be money down the drain. You wouldn't get any more for it and you'd have a lot more in it than you do now.

KTMom91

Another one who understands the emotional attachment...I loved my first car - a 1970 Pontiac Firebird. That car fueled my love for all things Pontiac. My current car is the first I ever bought brand new, right off the lot, and it's a...bright red 2000 Pontiac Sunfire. My next car will be a...bright red Pontiac Solstice. I'm ready.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I had a mini-van for YEARS. That thing could have fallen apart at any moment, but it did the job...whatever it was. I had a tire placed behind the driver's seat so the seat wouldn't fall back. I was so low in that van that it was truly a low-rider. Ended up giving it to a charity. Ran fine, though. Never really had to put a penny into it.

I vote for keeping your van.

Abbey

TerryJ2

Aww, I know the feelilng. They're your reliable buddies, those cars and vans.

by the way, just for the heck of it, I looked up Astro starters online. They're all over the place on Ebay. About $100. Just a thought. :) But it says they're hard to access, in an awkward spot.

Good luck! Stick to your guns.

Star*

call 911........call 911
(thinks Terry is a van instigator! lol) :tongue:

I mean - A HELPFUL FRIEND.

I have a poor little old car story for you -

Mine is a 1991 Ford Explorer. It was the only car I have ever bought since leaving x. I blew the motor in it - DF got me a beautiful Ford Explorer and flipped it over a deer crossing. I drove his behemoth of a van for 6 months and then put the money into a motor for my little old SUV.
She's old, her paint is old, her interior does NOT scream "I'm successful." and last year I got moved to the farthest parking spot via others parking before me because the boss didn't want someone to see MY car sitting out front as a representation of HIS business. (OMG can you say anal?) - My mom said "Then give her a decent salary and raise so she can GET a car that she CAN leave outside your business." ugh.

I'm not parting with her....

I do know that people have great success with Craigslist - you can put a picture on there too.

Good luck -
Hugs
Star

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yeah, PepBoys will install a rebuilt one for $239 total (car repairs we just don't do ourselves around here). But the starter hasn't died yet. So methinks an insert on Craig's List would be a good idea to try to find a good home for it before something else tanks on it.

Star*

call 911........call 911
ON CL - under WANTED

ONE GOOD MAN to take care of me. To pamper my old weary parts, to not mind that I'm not young or flashy. A man who will appreciate me for me and be willing to spend time with me. A man who doesn't mind putting some effort into our relationship to see that it runs right.

A man who wants a dependable soul, who has gas, the more the better. A man that won't kick me out of your garage for eating oil.

1990 Chevy Astro Van - come see me, talk to me, see if I'm the right van for you.

This is why I should go work for an ad agency!