Tuna casserole recipes

mstang67chic

Going Green
Thanks Janet! Now I'm wanting tuna casserole and husband doesn't like it. I actually just had some last weekend but I want more! LOL

For those of you who have never tried it and want to, I thought those of us who like it could share our favorite recipe.

Mine is pretty basic:

Egg noodles (amount depends on how much you want)
1-2 cans of tuna depending on serving size
1 can cream o'mushroom soup
1 can peas
salt/pepper
cheese of your choice

Cook the noodles as directed and drain. Either in your casserole dish or a mixing bowl, stir together the drained noodles and the soup, making sure they are mixed well. Drain the tuna and add to the noodles making sure that the tuna is broken down so it's not it large chunks (unless you want it that way). Stir till combined well and also combine the peas (I don't drain my peas...it gives it some moisture). Add salt/pepper to taste ( or even onion) and as much cheese as you would like. I like mine pretty cheesy so I'll put an 8 oz bag of shredded cheese in mine....usually something along the lines of Chedder Jack. Top with more cheese if desired (either more shredded or sliced also works well).

Bake in oven at 350 for about 20 minutes or so.....just long enough to ensure it's warmed through.

Yummy!

Tiapet

Old Hand
I have a tuna casserole recipe that might be different to some that I was raised on and then had to alter because my kids didn't like it so much, though it's basically the same and I'll show the difference in the recipe:

1-16oz bag of fine egg noodles, we have had a hard time finding these over the years lately so adapted it to angel hair or any other pasta sometimes. If you adapt then use a lb of pasta.

1 can of cream of mushroom soup

2 cans of tuna (middle difficult child doesn't care for tuna too much so if I use 1 she won't complain too much)

16 oz pimento spread (this is where I adapted - original recipe called for 3 jars of kraft pimento cheese which is found in dairy section and they are tiny little things that my mom and gmom always saved and used as juice jars afterwards. Kids don't like that kind but will each store brand pimento spread or any other brand which is entirely different consistency)

Optional bread crumbs or crushed potato chips for topping.

Preheat oven to 375. Boil pasta until done to your likeness. Drain. While in colander. Mx the other ingredients in hot pasta pot (to promote cheese to melt) until all ingredients are well mix and then add pasta back in. Mix all together with pasta. Pour into baking dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs or crushed potato chips on top if desired. Cover with aluminum foil if not putting topping on. Bake in oven for 45 minutes.

DammitJanet

Mine is made almost like Mustangs but not quite.

I do the egg noodles and boil them like on the package.
I use 3 cans of noodles in water drained.
1 can of mixed veggies drained
1 small can of mushrooms
1 can of mushroom soup
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
large can fried onions

Put all the canned things in a sauce pan and heat them up on low. Add half a can of milk to the mushroom soup can to make sure you get everything out and it will help add some extra liquid. Just heat this through while the egg noodles are boiling. When the noodles are done, drain and pour into a casserole dish or 9x13 pan that you have sprayed with pam or buttered. Mix the noodles and tuna mixture together in the dish. Add some grated cheddar cheese...maybe a cup to this mixture too. open a large can of those fried onions and first put a small handful in and stir them in, then add another cup of cheese to the top of the casserole then add the rest of the can of fried onions to the top. Bake at 350 for about 20 to 25 minutes.

Mom2oddson

The one that my family likes is made with Kraft White Cheddar Mac & Cheese.

Make the mac & cheese, saute onions - mix in the tuna, mix all together. Put in a casserole dish, top with cheese and bake until the cheese is melted.

So very simple.

trinityroyal

These all sound delicious. Strangely, I would probably leave out the tuna. Which would sort-of defeat the purpose of tuna casserole I'm guessing.
I'm going to experiment a little this weekend and see what I come up with.

Thanks everyone. New ideas to add to my recipe collection!