turbo tax

Star*

call 911........call 911
I have a question..........

(crusty) .....

If I filed my return..........and I made an error.....(crustY) and I need to file an amended return......

Am I going to get pulled into the IRS and have that audit thing done? Or can you just do it on line and pay the $20 - efile and then they fix it? And send you your larger refund.

donna723

I goofed too Star, but it wasn't the fault of the program. I e-filed mine the day before I got an additonal W2 form that I wasn't expecting. I retired in September and the people at work told me I would NOT get a separate W2 for those three pension checks I got from the retirement system, that they were included on my other W2 ... turns out they weren't! Right now I'm undecided whether I should just call the IRS and ask them what to do, or just wait for them to catch it and tell me I have to send some of my refund back.

rlsnights

Star -

I answered your question under Nancy's post about losing difficult child as an exemption.

You need to file 1040X amended return. 1040X cannot be e-filed. It must be done by mail.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf

I can't guarantee you won't get audited but if it's a deduction/exemption you can legally claim and you can support with documentation then I think you should go ahead and do it. The IRS audits very few returns overall and if you're entitled to the exemption/deduction then you should have no problems even if you do get an inquiry. Just my 2 cents.

Donna -

I would wait until they have processed the return you submitted. If they don't catch the error while processing that return, then once you get notified that your refund was deposited I would file a 1040X amended return with the correct income and send them a check for what you owe. You are still responsible for paying the correct amount of taxes by April 18th no matter what so you don't want to wait for them to "get around" to deciding you owe them money or you may have to pay penalties and interest.

Patricia

Star*

call 911........call 911
rls -

I guess I don't get to claim him after all - (buggers) I got mis-information. - I think I did them correctly myself, and honestly. I'm sticking with what I did. I did them wrong and IRS owes me money? Fine - money in the bank as it were. I was told I could still get the child tax credit because reasons I listed on other post....and I just don't think so. I'm satisfied with how I filled out my taxes.

Thanks very much for the info. and the extra work. Sometimes the rubber-band logic of these people you talk to is amazing.