Tweedle dee is going back to school

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
We had our placement mtg for kt yesterday morning.

You all would have been proud of kt; she spoke up for herself, let the adults in the room (6 of them) know her feelings, fears & concerns. At one point, she lost it - got very angry, but excused herself & left the room.

We continued the mtg, but kt, after 10 minutes, calmed herself & rejoined the mtg. She apologized to the adults & sat & contributed calmly after that point. (I'm so proud ~ she's under so much stress & is so emotional since husband died.)

After all was said & done we came to an agreed upon plan with, of course a back up plan (I always have one).

kt's school day will be modified ~ half days. That will last about one month. At that point an opening in a program called STEPS should become available. STEPS is a program that teens leave school after their core classes & go work (no money but credits) & learn living, employable skills for credits. kt will be in mainstream for half her classes; Special Education for her core classes so she can catch up academically & eventually attend mainstream full time. The catching point was transportation to & from STEP program. School insists kt learn to use city bus (all except school psychiatrist). Mental health case manager & I were both up in arms ~ kt is too vulnerable to be on city bus. We've worked out that as well ~ school will transport via school bus & Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) or PCA worker will pick kt up from her STEP assignment.

kt & I left that mtg satisfied. kt is thrilled to be learning skills she can use on her resume. Many times the teens that work out in that program are hired by the assignment company. What a way to get transitional living skills! Real world experience.

Back to school Monday! I was fearful we would be going homebound & kt would lose all those social/peer/friend skills we had worked so hard on.

The back up plan is that kt's name is on waiting list for day treatment she'd attended for almost 2 years ~ it's been extended to 11th grade.

Phew/Whew!

Janna

Hey Linda,

When you're done with kt, would you mind coming over and helping me out with Dylan :) LOL!

That's wonderful news. I have missed hearing about your children, and am amazed at how well kt handled that situation in the meeting. WOW! Huge steps for her. And, to be able to excuse herself and come back? That's incredible.

Congratulations to you for all the very, very hard work you have done with her. It seems like it's paying off, big time.

I'm sorry to hear about husband - I didn't know. My condolences to your family.

~Janna

davey327

Karen S
I am so glad for you that everything went well at your mtg. I feel like there is so much I can learn from those who have gone before. I forgot to mention that while our twins were never physically abused they were neglected. Mom is bipolar and had drug abuse issues. She has a lot of other issues too. Biodad is now out of the picture. He is in rehab for the next 7 mos. or so. People don't understand the effect all these things have on the children.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Great news, Linda. And kudos to kt. She is really making amazing strides and to maintain her composure so well, for any 14 year old, is - wow. For kt and all she's been through to not only maintain composure but contribute - impressive.

Hugs to you all.

TerryJ2

VERY good Linda, both with-Kt's ability to recoup and regroup, and the back to school plan. Way To Go!

Nancy423

do I have to be the mom?
yay! Sounds like she's very excited about this as well (always a good sign) congrats on the step forward.

LittleDudesMom

Linda,

FABULOUS!!!! Sounds like our Miss Kt is learning to advocate for herself! Admidst all she has rolling around in her head about your health and dad's death, she is to be commended and congratulated.

Give her a hug from this board auntie! I'm proud of your girl.

Sharon

Steely

So, so happy for my little kt. SO proud.
And this must be a relief for you as well.
How is wm doing with all of this?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
This will be good for her to help with moving forward. That kid has done so well through all of this. The past few months have been so hard, so hard on a easy child, let alone on someone like KT.
She is doing so good!!! I can't believe how well she held her composure today!

Jena

Hi

I"m so glad to hear she's going back. I hope this transition goes well. My thoughts are with you guys.

((hugs))

KTMom91

Way To Go, KT! Very, very proud of the strength and maturity she showed during the meeting. So glad there's a definite plan in place for her. Hugs to you both.

Andy

This is great! KT is such an awesome kid. It is so cool to watch her talents and strengths at work helping her mature.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Linda,
I'm so glad kt is becoming such a great advocate for herself! This board auntie is very proud of her! I hope this new plan is successful!

B

bran155

What a wonderful post. I am soooooo impressed with her for being able to articulate her feelings, leave the room to cool off and then come back in and apologize!!!!! Wow. Amazing!!!

Kt - keep up the good work!!! (((HUGS))) :)