Two and a half men.

Jody

The DWTS thread reminded me to bring this up and see if any of you watched the ending of Charlie Harper on Two and a half men. When I was sick and so depressed about difficult child, I would watch this show which I never watched when it was a real hit, but I watched the reruns when I didn't have cable. I have go to tell you I never laughed so hard. Charlie had such dry humor and with all of the other characters, I could not stop cracking up. It was mostly my only laugh for that day, but it was a good laugh. Well Monday night was the shows first night with Ashton Kutcher. OMG, so not funny. It was over the top sexual, and Kutcher was too stupid, to be any where near believable. The shows always been a little raunchy, but funny, but not so much Monday night. I just don't think it is going to be a success. Did anyone else watch it???

DammitJanet

Nope. Stopped watching it on real time years ago and watched in only in reruns a long time ago. I got bored with it. I dont think its going to last either. I think they should have found a way to just keep the show going without bringing anyone else new in. Its going to bomb I think.

Steely

I stopped watching it about 2 years ago when Charlie Sheen was just going off the deep end. I couldn't separate his character from his real life anymore, and therefore it was not funny at all, but maddening. I thought I would watch the new show just to see what they were going to do with it. What a waste of time. The whole episode was just plain bizarre!!! The whole funeral scene was very distasteful unless you were like 12 - and then he drops Charlie's ashes on the floor and dustbusters them up???? Are you kidding - really, really bad taste. And the rest of the show is about how well endowed Ashton is. Drivel.

DDD

I watched it and thought it was pretty clever. on the other hand I just don't think they'll be able to maintain the storyline without it being ridculous. I also watched part of the Sheen Roast and I did not find that funny. That, I found offensive. difficult child#1 is nicknamed "Charlie" at his favorite dive. Instead of thinking it is funny he sees it as insulting. Hmmm...I think that may be a sign of progress. on the other hand he watches 2 1/2 almost daily. Only time will tell of they "dial down" Ashton. I hope so. DDD

donna723

I've didn't watch the show and I've never watched the show but the vacuuming up the ashes with the dust buster is a direct ripoff from Monty Python. Cheap shot! A few years ago they made a Monty Python Reunion show that aired on Comedy Central. The members of the comedy troop came out and sat on a sofa, talking about things they had done and showing film clips of their movies and TV shows. One of them, Graham Chapman, died several years ago and when they all came on stage, John Cleese was carrying a silver urn that supposedly held Graham Chapman's ashes and very reverently set it on a coffee table so he could be part of the reunion. Somehow, over the course of the show, the urn got knocked over, scattering ashes everywhere. They were all down on their hands and knees frantically trying to scoop up the ashes when one of them pulled out a dust buster and started trying to vacuum Graham Chapman up out of the rug. It was all in horribly bad taste, which they said he would have absolutely loved! So this is not a new idea ...

N

Nomad

We use to watch it often, but then cut back significantly due to Sheen's inappropriate behaviors off screen. It also, at times, went a bit over the top in terms of distasteful humor (if you ask me). For the most part, we did find it very funny, though.
Yes, we DID watch the new show with Kutcher. Didn't really like it. I would like to think it was this particular story line...which was raunchy. I'll watch another episode before making a final decision.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I don't like Charlie Sheen so I rarely watched the show before but I did watch this one out of curiosity. I thought it was pretty funny...loved the comments the women made during the funeral.

I'm not sure I'll watch it again but I'm thinking that maybe you have to be a new convert to enjoy it.

Suz

Steely

I could be somewhat jaded because of all the "death" humor - which is a sore spot right now. I probably will watch it once or twice more as well to make a final decision. I still love Berta - but if they keep up with the little kid humor - I am out. (Like Jake farting in front of his grandma was funny - really? I got onto Matt about that when he was a tot - why is a 14 yo doing it funny?) I didn't know the ashes in a dustbuster was a Monty Python bit - how unclever of 2 1/2 men to reuse.

Star*

call 911........call 911
We watched it all the time, and loved it. The humor? About as close as you can or will get these days to implied humor without actually having the actual words being said like in so many other prime-time comdedies. So for us? It was adult humor, and while at times raunchy; still tongue in cheek.

I think the original cast of having two dysfunctional brothers and a dysfunctional Mother with a snarky housekeeper, and an underachieving son - an uptight, divorce/bi-curious exwife, and a neurotic dolt second husband? Goes well together as a mixed bag family that mirrors so many other famiilies in "essence". The fact that Charlie went off the deep end to me has nothing to do with the show. Unfortunate yes - but the producers didn't seem to me to allow the deep-end antics to become part of the show. Doggy-he man womanizer, with a drink in his hand? That was his personna from the git-go. Not talking all crazy about warlocks ruling his world. So the two to me didn't seem to meld at all. The fact that he earned two million an episode and now gets nothing but is suing makes him a complete idiot...but I'm not his manager, nor his counselor.

As far as Ashton Kutcher coming in? Wow....well - how hard that comparison huh? There isn't one. So I can't make one. He is NOT Charlie. I really thought WB's original idea of a "lost" brother would have been the way to go (rumored) and to have a billionaire, aire-head, hung like an elephant guy, just walk in and save the day, take over the house and Alan not say much? Well - Seriously how long CAN a show where two single men live in the same house go on unless one of them is doing something with women to keep people tuning in? You'd almost have to bring in a younger man to keep the place "rolling" as it were for an audience. Otherwise it's just a middle aged divorcee, his graduate kid, and some other mid thirties guy living in a house with occasional girlfriends - not much for a show there.

Rose will still have a "shot" at the new guy - with her quirky multiple personality and millions.....so they have something in common. Berta will still have a job. Mom will still get to do her thing.....so I guess we'll just have to see. I'm just hoping that Ashton finds a smart sound quickly because he has already played the dumb guy on That Seventies Show - and it got old quick. Then again you don't invent some software for Microsoft and sell it for billions by being a dummy -------so maybe there is a twist there. We'll just have to wait and see.

And yeah ------the dust buster thing......done to death. Would have rather seen Alan grab a leaf blower or open the sliding glass doors and have the ocean wind blow him out.......Something --------but the cool thing is ----he never really got cleaned up......think about it. They left.

muttmeister

When Two and a Half Men first came on I watched it. It was funny. As far as I'm concerned, the show jumped the shark at least 3 years ago. They had done all they could do with the basic concept and it lately it just kept getting lamer and lamer. I think people watched out of habit, to see Charlie Sheen self destruct, and to see how bad it could get. I hadn't watched it much in the last 2 years but I did watch this week. The new character will either salvage the show for a couple of more years, or it will go down the tubes fast. It all depends on where they go with this new character. So far, I was not impressed but the general public will probably watch for a few more weeks just out of curiosity so they have a little wiggle room but they need to figure out a funny way to go with this FAST or they will be done before Christmas.

H

HaoZi

I watched the syndicated reruns mostly. Last season I watched a few times, but the way too close to RL his character was getting (or him to his character?) was very off-putting to me. Tuned in for the new season while waiting for Two Broke Girls to come on, and I LMAO'd. Whether it'll last or not *shrug* but I did enjoy the episode.

Have to say the most oft-quoted line I heard (and also repeated) the next day was from Two Broke Girls, though. Yeah... those muscles that make smart girls stupid. Don't recall what they're called myself, but I have to admit that's a pretty apt description of them.

Steely

I liked 2 Broke Girls....funny....just watched Up All Night with C. Applegate....sorta funny? But my 2 favs are on tonight In the Middle and Modern Family....

N

Nomad

I too really like Berta!
Two Broke Girls REALLY has potential!
My two favorite shows still are Modern Family and Big Bang Theory.

busywend

I liked the show. I think it still has potential to be funny. My favorites are the kid and Berta anyway, so hopefully we will still get some good lines out of them.

DDD

by the way, was the son the same kid? He not only seemed much older but his features didn't seem to match up. DDD

Jody

I absolutely love Berta. I know Charlie has some issues. His childhood friend, really good looking Rob Lowe said in an interview that that is just how Charlie is. He's over the top and he didn't care what anyone thought of him. To normal people it seemed ludicrous and like he needed to be locked up. He was definately making some bad choices. But I only watched him for a 1/2 hour a day and he was hilarious, along with the rest of the cast. I rarely ever like a show so much that I had to get home and watch it, but I definately wanted to get home and make sure I had my half hour of laughter. I am going to try the two broke girls show and see if it's good, the scenes they show for advertisement looked pretty good.

Steely

Oh yea Nomad - Big Bang Theory - how could I forget. That is absolutely hilarious, clever, well done - and did I say funny?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Fonzie jumped the shark......Have never put it quite that way Mutt but......I really like that saying.