Two tablespoons is different than two teaspoons!

meowbunny

My first formal dinner after I got married was quite an ambitious menu for a new cook -- london broil, fettucine al fredo with pasta made from scratch, fresh asparagus with hollandaise sauce, cherries jubilee for dessert. (This is now my "specialty" menu and never fails to make a huge hit.)

Anyway, I put the meat thermometer into the meat and was amazed that it was ready in 3 minutes. (The thermometer had gone through the meat and was resting on the broiling pan.) I used sugar instead of salt in the pasta and the wrong flour. I couldn't find heavy cream at the store so bought whipping cream (no, not the kind you whip yourself, the kind you spray our of the can right into your mouth -- at least it wasn't CoolWhip!). Gave up on the hollandaise sauce and just served the asparagus with butter. To this day, I have no idea how half the asparagus was pure much and the other raw. Oh, then there was the cherries jubilee. I decided that it really needed more alcohol to flame well. Yup, set off the smoke alarm. Well, there was good reason it went off -- I caught the tablecloth on fire. I don't know why, but our guests insisted that we go out to eat -- their treat. It was 3 years before I even considered inviting another soul over for dinner.