Two weeks later and another snow/ice storm

Kathy813

Staff member
Here we go again . . . winter storm warning for Georgia only this time we have the lovely addition of a possible 1/2 inch of ice on top of the three inches of snow. Areas south of the city of Atlanta may get up to an inch of ice.

We haven't had an ice storm since 2005. I can hardly wait. At least this one started overnight with plenty of warning. I'm sure you won't see traffic jams in Atlanta on the nightly news. My school district is closed and we will be closed through at least Thursday. At this rate, we will be going to school into June which is late since we started the first week of August.

~Kathy

DDD

Sorry, Kathy. My easy child is none to happy about it either. She lived at the hospital for three days last time as new staff couldn't get there...nor could on call people leave. My heart goes out to those in need. Hugs DDD

Sabine

Ice is the pits.. we still haven't dug out of ours from last week (I just shoveled paths to get to the cars). We're looking at about 8 more inches of snow *sigh*

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ice is the worst. Snow can be a pain in the rear but it is nothing compared to dealing with ice. Last week we had a storm that dumped snow then ice/sleet. First time in a long time I can walk on top of 5 inches of snow and not sink in. There are still cars trapped in driveways and along streets because it is really hard to shovel out without plenty of rock salt. And of course rock salt is nearly impossible to find.

Be careful and stay safe.

witzend

We've had wet snow all day but nothing sticking on the roads yet. Tonight and tomorrow is supposed to be a different story altogether. We are supposed to get ice tomorrow morning, and as much as 6 - 8 inches of snow on top of that. husband is in a mood because he got to work this morning and it started dumping snow so he had to turn around and come back home and work from home. I'm sure that everyone understands that this is my fault. Duh...

We don't have overhead power lines and there are supposed to be more problems East of town and Kathy is going to get hit hard. We do have a generator, and later on I'm going to have husband go get some "non-ethanol" gas for it just in case, but I think we won't have to use it. Better safe than sorry, though.

I'm just hoping I can convince husband to stay home tomorrow morning before it gets really bad. I'm kind of hoping for ice overnight just so he won't risk it.

Kathy813

Staff member
The only good news for me is that I live north of the line that is predicted to get the worst of the icing. We are "only" supposed to get between a quarter to a half inch of ice with 3 - 5 inches of snow on top of that. Counties south of the city are supposed to get an inch of ice which will take down trees and power lines so there will be a lot of power outages. I didn't like hearing the word catastrophic used by the weather forecasters.

On the up side, the temperature is supposed to be up to the 60's by the end of the weekend.

Trinity~ we went to Home Depot yesterday looking for de-icing material and there was none to be had. husband bought some sand to put out at the top of our driveway so we can take the dogs out. Other than that, I don't plan to leave my house until this all goes away! I am just hoping and praying that we will not lose our electricity.

Nancy

Stay safe Kathy. The temps have been around 10 degrees all week. We're getting use to it, it doesn't even seem cold anymore. Thank goodness it's too cold for ice, just lots and lots of snow.

tiredmommy

Stay warm and safe! Our school had to reconfigure our calendar due to four days of closings. Before this year: Duckie had one snow day and one early dismissal in her first 7 years in the district

I'm ready for spring. :(

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Stay safe! Ice is the worst, you're right to stay indoors. We have a drought here and then 10 inches of rain over last weekend..........I watched the creek behind my home rise and go over the banks............lots of flooding..........I didn't leave the house for 3 days. Interesting weather we're all having.......

Sabine

Reminds me of the old Chinese (?) curse, "May you live in interesting times".

Ice up to half an inch is generally not too big a deal (other than driving ;) ).. over that, and the downed trees and power lines increase exponentially. An inch of ice IS catastrophic. I've seen that kind of damage once, it was unbelievable. We lived in the woods, and trees were cracking every second or two for a week straight (it stayed 0 degrees Farenheit for the entire week, so the ice stayed on the trees that long). I think the power was out for 10 days and we had no backup source of heat. Lucky our pipes didn't freeze! (We were on a well, so we had no water either).

Good luck everyone, and stay safe. Have flashlights, food, water, blankets all ready to go. Good idea to fill your bathtub with water too...

Kathy813

Staff member
Sabine, Atlanta is known as the city of trees. Unfortunately even a 1/2 inch is a disaster because the branches that hang over the power lines break and take down the power lines. There are already 50,000 homes that have lost power. Luckily, we are not one of them although our lights flickered a couple of times.

Keep your fingers crossed for us. I really don't want to lose our power.

~Kathy

Sabine

Wow..

I wasn't thinking about it being so far south (smacks head), trees down there aren't accustomed to winter survival.. they're not as strong as the ones farther north. (I'm in Maryland, and our trees are used to some amount of ice each year.. rarely more than half an inch though).

DammitJanet

I am in the ice zone. I am praying we dont lose power but I do have a stack of firewood just in case. I did manage to get out early yesterday morning and got some salt to try to keep my steps okay. Two weeks ago I fell down them.

Yesterday we got about 6 or so inches of snow. I found a place where the snow fell on a table outside and I put my hand in it to measure and my hand sunk in up to my wrist. Its now doing a mix of sleet and snow. We arent supposed to be out of this winter storm until Thursday around 5 pm. Oh joy. The way things are going our kids will end up going year round this year. They have only gone to school 9 days since the beginning of this year!

witzend

Yeah, Janet I saw on the news just now that they're going to have to cut into Spring Break if they keep having to do "snow days". We're hunkered down, but not six inches, for sure! About 3 inches of snow and blowing sleet on top now.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Kathy, I was just posting on fb about our winter wonderland. It is trecherous walking but my driveway is prime sledding for the neighborhood kids. We are in Milton so we are pretty far north but I live in a pretty wooded area. So far so good. We have about 3 inches of snow on top of the serious ice. My husband was in his car for 5 hrs to drive 10 miles 2 wks ago. No one had boots or gloves or any prep. His assistant walked from her stuck car in bare feet. Went to work in heels. I think this time everyone is in overload. Rightly so.
As long as we have power we should be fine except for wet dogs. Ugh!

donna723

I think here in middle Tennessee most of the worst of it passed to the south of us. I had to go out this morning and there was a thin coating of ice on the car but not bad and not really that cold. All day we've had a rain/slush mixture that melts when it hits the ground. My daughter in Charleston, SC emailed to say they had ice everywhere, trees bent to the ground, and their power had been off for five hours! In Charleston! They have electric heat but luckily they have a gas stove and a gas fireplace in the living room. She's a nurse in a doctors office and finally made it in to work today, only to find out that no patients were showing up because of the weather so they all went home again! Their power finally came back on again which is good news because they have a four year old who is seriously addicted to his electronics!

DammitJanet

Oh no...Charleston is that bad? Yikes. Thats where Tony is working right now and we both thought he was going to escape most of it. I sure hope they have power because they cant work without it. If you talk to your daughter again, ask her how it is up where they are building the new Google farm. I am assuming she would know where that is...lol. To me a Google anything is big news!

Obviously we still have power. Billy went out this afternoon and knocked some of the snow and ice off the roof. Since we put on the new metal roof the snow tends to melt and slide. It was sliding towards the power pole and line coming into the house so we wanted to keep that free.

Lord I just heard a half million people without power! Im glad we have some wood. I fixed dinner early just in case but I dont know what we will eat tomorrow if we lose power. I am out of propane for the grill and I am certainly not going out to find any. I cant believe they havent even attempted to plow our road. While I do live rural, my road is one of the main ones leading from Lumberton out to Pembroke and that is where a major university is.

donna723

Janet, she said it had been raining all day and then it freezes, making even more ice! But in a few days it's supposed to be up to 60!