Ugh

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
:thumbsdown:

Um Star...........that didn't make me feel better. ewww omg! lol Needless to say I'll be scrubbing the Holy Hades out of this house the moment I'm well enough to do so......and 2 males will be helping or I'll pull out the cast iron skillet. :rollingpin:

In fact, Travis who is now well, is already hard at work on his room. husband put a large trap that actually traps up to 4 mice inside baited with pb in his room. The boy has been denying he has mice (I knew better it's one of their travel routes) and denying he's been eating in his room again. From the looks of the trashbags..........there was quite a bit of fibbing going on. His wake up call? 4 mice in the trap overnite. omg He's been hard at work since he woke up and found it.

And yeah there was another 1 in the pantry overnite.

I knew it was bad. I was hoping not quite this bad. husband is on the way to the store for rubber gloves, traps, more pb, peppermint oil and cotton balls. I don't have the cash for a professional any time soon.:sigh:

I'm an avid animal lover, truly I am. I'd never think to bother a mouse outside. Come into my house and it's a whole new ballgame

This is soooooooooo disgusting. bletch

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh..........and I'd only use decon as a last resort........or for rats. I'm sorry I've got a real enormous issue with rats. The stench caused with a poisoned mouse is foul.........and with my luck one of the animals would decide to play with one or something.

I'm out of jello and currently the traps are working better at the moment. I'm not sure how a cat/dog would do with a jelloed mouse either.....but would imagine the mouse's digestive system would have taken care of it maybe? Any hoo so far bruce shows no interest in putting a dead mouse into his mouth......he just bats at them like their one of his toys. ewww

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Strange thought from left field, re Bruce and toys.

We used to get the little rabbit fur mice for the cats. Weasel was mostly uninterested, but Possum loved them - until the tail was chewed off. Then? Nah.

And he's our best mouser... I just now made the connection - he always chews off the tails. UGH! Maybe he thinks they're toys?

Batting them around is better than eating them!!!

Star*

call 911........call 911
our cat eats skinks and little anoles (we call her) THE DRAGON SLAYER......I HATE that she does that. HATE it. We have 'something' living in our attic, and by something I mean - it's not a squirrel, and it's not a rat. Too big to be a possum, or a raccoon. We call it the mystery rodent.

We have plugged up every hole we can find. I am SURE it's a squirrel, but of course WHAT do I know. ?????? I've seen it - twice. But husband is sure it's (dunt dhunt dhaaaaaaaah - mystery music) Something more mysterious....I walked away scoffing and asking under my breath "Like what - a chupacabra?" snort.

Oh and it doesn't mind peppermint cotton balls. OR radio static. I haven't gone back up there because the dial got turned (basically sure the radio got knocked over by a skiddish chupacabra) and at 3:00 AM OZZY OSBORNE's Crazy train was blaring in the attic. ROFL....Yeah THAT won't keep ya up all night. DF so glad he's hard of hearing slept through it all. Right - it was Star the BRAVE that pulled down the attic steps, crawled in the freezing, unfinished attic, across 18" on center beams in a night gown to pull the plug. .......(grumbles) danged chupacabra.

Good luck with your mice dear.

susiestar

Roll With It
husband found the thing about peppermint oil online. I had only told him about it ten times - literally ten times told him to do it. Then I told him to go google it and all of a sudden he makes this amazing discovery that peppermint oil will repel mice. Gee. Amazing alright. Amazing that he could still talk and I didn't whack him upside the head. He actually had the nerve to get upset with me when I didn't get excited over his "discovery" and to ask me if I knew it worked why didn't I just tell him!!!!!!!!! I think I didn't speak to him for 2 days because I was so peeved over the rudeness of it all. He had actually ARGUED with me about the peppermint oil not working and he just knew it so he didn't need to try it and he even picked up the cotton balls with peppermint oil that I had put out.

Now I knew it worked because both Marg and Star told me about it over a year before that and I had done it qutie well. We live WAY out in the country and every house in our developemnt and the neighboring ones all battle mice all year long. It just is what it is when you live this far out. Esp when most neighbors have big woodpiles. We don't because I won't have a fireplace and thank you in the same house. It is one of the few things that still triggers his asthma. (We are blessed that he now only has maybe 4 days a year that his asthma is really bad. He hasn't even used his inhaler at school this year and only used it when he had a cold over the summer.

Anyway, the peppermint oil works really well. As for the attic, squirrels LOVE to chew wiring, so get a squirrel trap and get it OUT. I have heard that cat food will attract them, but I don't know if I believe it. If it is a raccoon it could be as big as a small dog. They are LOTS bigger than squirrels. Anyway, get a trap up there and try peanut butter, then try cat food if that doesn't work. Sorry about the Ozzy wakeup. Why did you not poke df to go deal with it? I would have.

I clean everything with bleach. If we use another cleaner I then go over it with bleach. Even with mouse pp you only need 1 tablespoon of bleach in 1 gallon of water to make it kill the germs. using more bleach will NOT make it work better or faster.

by the way - do you know how to make a substitute for clorox 2 laundry bleach? The color safe bleach? Use 1 cup peroxide and water to make 1/2 gallon. use 1/2 to 1 cup in the laundry. AWESOME on biological stains and keeps bright colors bright. There IS a connection. Mouse pp to cleaning. Bleach for cleaning to laundry to non-clorox bleach. See, there IS method to my madness.

We may try the jello. I have never heard of that one. I do know they will gorge on cheese and then the sodium kills them. Too much pbutter will also kill them if it has salt in it.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Don't squirrels like nuts?? I'd think cashews would work.......perhaps popcorn in the traps, if it's not a mystery animal and is really a squirrel. (I'm thinking Mr or Mrs Squirrel got chilly) But squirrels in our yard love popcorn............See? I really do love animals. lol And I give the birds old bread crumbs...........of course this is to stop them from ringing the dinner bell on the front portch and from snitching Minnie and Underfoot's food.

Hmm never knew cheese did that to mice. Of course Star told me about jello, I didn't come up with it myself. lol But cheese is expensive to waste on mice. Peter Pan peanutbutter seems to be irresistible to them. Maybe it's smellier.......more fragrant? Is smellier even a word?? Ok my fevered brain is shutting down. Time to put my aching feverish body to bed. ugh

H

HaoZi

I haven't seen a squirrel yet that wouldn't do their utmost to get ahold of one of those birdseed bells.

Jena

hey

i didn't read all the responses. remember years ago when i had that mouse problem they were everywhere?? the cats' didn't get them, yet the dog did for some reason. his presence scared them.

we brought in an exterminator it wasn't that costly here.. yet it was grose. they put traps in the basement and sprinkled poison on grass outside which lasted forever. what i did was went around to any open spots in corners, etc. especially in kitchen and bathroom plugged it up with brillo.

in time it passed. it was just this odd thing weather was bad outside and boom they came flying in. i also made sure to clean up dogs and cats bowls off floor. at night i caught the mouse he'd come out of his hole and climb into pet's bowl lol and eat their food. amazing.

good luck i hate mice in the house. their cute yet hmmm they dont' belong there!! :)