Uh-Oh! Need some big-time help!

nvts

Ok. difficult child 1 is now in intermediate school in a general ed program (small classroom setting). They're having a Halloween Dance and he asked me if he could go. "Ok" I said.

Now for the trouble.

He told me that he's going to ask a girl to dance with him.

Does anyone remember back in the '80's Eddie Murphy doing a routine about the "White Man's Overbite" and how they dance? Well...that's what's happening in my living room. Even better, difficult child 2 decided to "help" him with his dance technique and started to show him his "Michael Jackson Thriller Moves". Can we say "OMG?"

As I was in the kitchen blowing my nose to get the coffee that I had just snorted out of it, I hear - "Wow, you're a great dancer!"

HELP!!! Where do I find something on tv that they can imitate? Accoring to an inside source, the music is primarily hip-hop.

Please help!

Beth

DammitJanet

Dancing with the Stars videos? LOL.

How bout any of the Hanna Montana videos or the other Disney kids dance videos. Surely there are some of those age group songs. What are those three boys names? They do videos.

If nothing else...just show them how to bop up and down in time to the music and sway back and forth. No throwing arms around and such...lol.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Michael Jackson IS back in fashion, you know. Just so long as he leaves the "grab crotch while squealing" move out, he might be the hit of the party...

Wonder if you could pull up music videos on MTV or VH1 or CMT and watch some of those with dancing in them...otherwise, I have no idea!

Good luck with that.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Howdy! How's our baby doing?

There are all types of "how to's" on youtube, just type in "how to dance hiphop". You can even learn how to belly dance (when you're ready...);)

trinityroyal

Beth, if you have any of the High School Musical DVDs on hand, one of the special features is dance lessons. Now, those lessons teach the specific dances that are done in the movies, but they might be a bit more helpful than the WMO (white-man-overbite) moves that are currently on display.

That said, I had a friend in my early teens who was the WORST. DANCER. EVER. Still is, for that matter, as his wife will attest. He was truly bad, worse than Elaine from Seinfeld. But, he loved to dance, and stayed up on the dance floor the whole time, unlike the rest of the boys who stood around trying to look cool.

As a result, ALL the girls clamoured to dance with him, crazy-bad moves and all. We used to call him "Donaldo Fettucine, the Dancing Machine" (which was a play on his name, but said with the greatest affection).

Maybe if your difficult child just does his own thing, he'll have the same mysterious allure.

Just a thought...

Trinity

susiestar

Roll With It
Just keep him away from any old Jerry Lewis videos!! My husband dances like that and as a result we have only danced a few times because they were the only times I could convince him to skip those Jerry Lewis dance moves.

Jess was about 5 and husband had a Jerry Lewis movie on. She looked at me and said - Look Mommy! A man who dances as bad as Daddy. Did Daddy teach him to look like a goober?

Yes, Jess has ALWAYS called it like she saw it!!