UK advice

Nomad

Staff member
UK knowledge?
I have a friend in London going through a bad time right now. I wanted to send her a gift certificate to her favorite restaurant for a dinner for two. You could do this on line. BUT, it would not accept a credit card from the US.

Some questions...
1. I’m thinking of sending a money order or something like it directly to her. But, I’m confused and of course want to make sure she can use what I send.
Are US money orders accepted in the UK? Has anyone needed to send money or a gift to the UK? What did you do?
2. How many pounds would be appropriate for a nice dinner for two?

Any advice re this type of thing would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Copabanana

Hi Nomad

OK. I looked at a couple of cost of living calculators. A mid range dinner for two would be $66 to $91. I do not know what mid range is. I think if it were me and I really cared about the friend, which you obviously do, if I could I would send $100 (to $150 at most). In the high priced metro near me that would be enough to have a nice dinner that would feel special with a glass of wine each. But it would not be ostentatious. Which to me is better.

I would be thrilled if somebody thought enough of me to do this for me. Just thrilled.

There are all kinds of ways to send money internationally online. Here are a few: American Express, Transferwise, Google Wallet, Xoom (paypal). The one I have used is Xoom.

The exchange rate today is 76 pounds for $100. I think that would be generous.

Last edited:

Nomad

Staff member
I’ll have to check into these excellent suggestions! Thank you very much.
I found out today that the post office sells an “International money order.”
I’m amazed. Sounds like I have some options. Thank you. :)

Nomad

Staff member
Yesterday I found out the international money orders from the post office here are generally not accepted in the UK.

Good grief.

So, I’m wondering if ones from a regular bank are?

Will likely look on line at the places suggested in this thread for this exchange. This is proving to be more difficult than it really should be.

Thank you.

Copabanana

How much money will you send? Try the Paypal place. What is it called? Xoom, I think. Or if you have an American Express card, I would try that.

Except I think I like Tanya's options the best.