Ultrasonic Mouse Deflectors??

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LMAO!

I had a similar incident a while back in the dinging room. Only I wasn't loopy. I stepped on something furry and slobbery. I looked down at what appeared to be a dead mouse skin. Doing a major ick ick ick dance.........took a few minutes for it to register it wasn't a real mouse skin......but the skin from a toy mouse Bruce had gotten for xmas. Molly had "eaten" it. lol He's not gotten his other toy mouse. I'm waiting until the rodent issue is gone.

That is not something I care to repeat.

KTMom91

Lisa, that's why I stopped buying toy mousies in realistic colors. When they tear apart something that's hot pink or neon green, I KNOW it's a toy!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Weasel used to hork up neon fur. Something in the dye they used. So I stuck with the "natural" colors. (Amazing, too, how huge a neon hairball could be... Given the size of the toy mice.)

Most of the live mice that we have are black or brown. Most of the toy mice are gray or white. So...

Star*

call 911........call 911
Years ago after we had just moved here - DF installed a dog door out in the den, next to the laundry room. I think it was about the time that Dude was learning to do his own wash so he had to be around 11 or 12. The other thing that makes us remember it is because of the way his voice cracked when he called us.

So there we were sitting in the den, watching TV having morning coffee. Dude came out to the laundry and opened the door. He wasn't in the room three steps before we hear this sound that was like 1/2 little girl, 1/2 boy and he yelled "Ahhhhhh Ahhhhhhhh a Rat, A big freakin' rat." and he did an Indian rain dance that to this day I swear rivals any full tribal ceremony dance - complete with arms waiving, and stomping, jumping, and more screaming up and down, and ahhhh ahhhhh ahhhhh all the way to the back door. You see this tall, gangly pre-teenager doing that rhaspy scream in his pajamas yelling at the top of his little boyish girly voice - I was nearly in tears.

So DF gets up, and walks over to the laundry room - the Pitbull was right behind him all ruffled up now because his boy was in panic mode - and they boy is standing over on the step having one of those heebie jeeibie fits...and DF walks out of the laundry room......holding.......by one paw.....a dead jackrabbit. Apparently the pitbull had caught him, and brought him in to "Award" him to Daddy, but nothing ever before coffee.

One of the funniest danged memories ever. A rat! A RAT! ahhhh A BIG Frrrrrreakin rat. then heebie jeebies. ROFLM rats off.

it was really funny until I stepped bare footed on a mole.......THEN it wasn't funny at ALL!

Jody

Oh My Goodness. Best laugh this whole month. My brother when he was a teenager, was so grossed out about any rodents/insects/etc. He left his shoes out on the porch one night. These were the big high tops. He pushed his foot into that shoe and squashed the mess out of a frog. Literally. He was jumping up and down on one foot, screaming and dry heaving. It was the funniest thing, I remember it as if it were yesterday and crack up every time. My mom laughed hysterically and my brother was her favorite. Usually that would not have been funy to her, but omg, she had to crack up there was no denying it. I am sitting at work waiting for my ride just losing it here. Too funny Star.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
:rofl: :rofl:

Poor Dude..........that's blackmail material for sure. Have to laugh about the frog too Jody.

Growing up we learned the hard way to always shake out our shoes before putting them on. Lord only knew what could/would crawl into them over night. Same with jackets hanging in the back porch closet......never will forget the hissy bro had over a huge spider that decided to keep warm in the sleeve of his fall jacket. lol

Then I have Darrin whom I'm currently trying to talk OUT of putting things into his pockets........last time it was meal worms. Doesn't bother me, I raised Nichole and I was just as bad myself. But easy child would stroke if she reached into his pocket to find some who knows what thing in there. lol

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well then? I'll tell you the Easter Story - cause it happend when he was 11. Poor kid. (slight gross warning - but funnier than the freakin rat story)

Okay so Dude is eleven years old and we're figuring he's about too old for hiding Easter eggs right? Wrong. He begged me to hide them one last time. So I go out to the shed, I get the eggs and I fill them with candy, and I have the one golden egg just like Wonka has the wrapper and it has $10.00 in it. Normally I wouldn't do it, but the poor kid has missed so many holidays being in Residential Treatment Center (RTC)'s and he was on home visit so we said okay let's make it special. This was the Easter he'd never forget. We had dinner, and he had a modest Easter basket nothing over board you know - the therapist said not to make home treats outrageous so we were following orders. Before the hunt we decided to have breakfast! I think it was eggs and bacon, but we were out of bread so I ran to the store to get a loaf of bread and Dude wanted to ride along.

As we got down the road in front of the neighbors house we could see what looked like a small red fox laying dead on the road and turkey vultures taking off from the carcas. Just so sad. We carried on, came home. Never really thought anymore about it. Had breakfast, and then went out for the big Easter Egg hunt camera at the ready!! Our last hunt - our boy was growing up you know. So there he was with his basket running back and forth, DF and I watching from the porch as he canvassed the yard looking for the golden egg! Then in a flash we had a visitor, one of those buzzards from down the road landed in our tree as if he was watching Dude. The golden egg was hidden so well we started yelling out "warmer, colder" clues for him and as he got closer to the golden egg, even that buzzard seemed to take notice. Just as Dude was getting to the RED HOT part of the hunt that danged buzzard flapped his wings, and PLOP.....out of his mouth came ----something, it was red, hairy.....and it nearly hit Dude in the head. It happened simultaneously with Dude grabbing the golden egg and yelling "I FOUND IT" and OH YUCK GROSSSSssssss." then EWWWWwww and we came over to see what it was. Dude nearly gagging, bent over, running towards the house with his basket, but still clutching the $10.00 from the golden egg.

DF got on scene first and held up a hand telling me to stay back. So I stopped mid stride - Buzzard still very much above on the limb now flapping, frustrated - staring ----and what I had assumed was a dead fox earlier was actually our neighbors pomeranian...and what was in our yard? Was the back part of that dog! DF just stood and looked at Dude and said - "You're the only kid I know that got a visit from the Easter Buzzard, and you know how I know it's an Easter Buzzard? Cause your dog killed the Easter Bunny and brought him in the laundry room earlier this year and you thought it was a big freakin rat." Apparently it was a funny guy thing - because as a Mother - I didn't think it was funny at all - but they thought it was hillarious.
He NEVER asked to go on an Easter egg hunt EVER again. But every time he sees a buzzard - he calls them the Easter Buzzard. DF did get a shovel and he and Dude went down and burried the neighbors dog for him while he was at work and didn't mention the buzzard part to him ever, but all parts were accounted for in the grave on their property. Fortunately for Dude? There are no molds of Buzzards to make him a specialized chocolate buzzard or he'd get one. lol.

Star*

call 911........call 911
by the way Jody -

I LOVED the frog in the shoe story - I think THAT would be a scrap book page I would LOVE to attempt! ROFLM tadpoles off.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Wiltons does NOT make a buzzard mold....we've looked. lol. How sick is that? Sadly they DO make a Pomeranian.

Marg's Man

Marg I do have a question for you. Supposedly Decon has a poison formula that doesn't harm dogs/cats but kills mice/rats. I've not actually seen it myself. I have a vague memory of hearing about it on tv.....husband and Travis have been talking about it. So far I've nixed even looking to see if they sell it as I don't see how you can poison for one type of mammal and that same poison be "harmless" for another type of mammal. I'm thinking only way to do that would be dosage perhaps.......but if you have a cat who's mousing....eventually they could get a lethal dose. Or can they poison geared to a specific species now? (I know bio/chemical research is getting complicated....I just don't know how complicated)
I dunno why Marg didn't answer this one but, as a chemist, I'm interested in ways these poisons work (so we don't get killed ourselves!)

According to Decon's own website the active ingredient is Brodifacoum, one of the anti-coagulants. It also used in other brands such as Talon and Havoc.
This is a class of chemical that causes death internal haemorrhages. If you know anyone on Warfarin therapy imagine what would happen if they took a ten fold dose. Brodifacoum is NOT Warfarin but behaves the same way.

ANYTHING with blood that eats it will get a dose. Whether it is a fatal dose will be determined by health, body mass, etc. An animal that eats a fatal dose will feel very unwell before it dies and normal behaviour is to to crawl away somewhere secluded to recover. Rats, mice etc tend to hide in isolated places, die and the first you know of it is when the body starts to smell.

If pets (like your cat) eat animals poisoned by Brodifacoum they might get enough to make them sick as well. The poisoned corpse would have a low dose so your cat would need to eat multiple cadavers to get ill enough to worry you. The poison is cumulative in fat tissue and can build up over time with chronic exposure.

If you DO use these type of baits just make sure you are scrupulous tracking down the corpses.

Marg's Man

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanks Marg's Man :D

That's what I needed to know. I don't plan to use poison unless I see a rat. So far, no rats, thank heaven!