Unbelieveable!

Tiapet

Old Hand
I can not believe what the school here. Middle difficult child wore this tshirt to school today:

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af143/tiapet/tshirt.jpg

She got in trouble for wearing it! They told her it looked like UNDERWEAR! Underneath it she even had on (and you might even see it in the picture) a camisole so that you couldn't even see her bra lines because she hates her bra being seen.

I don't understand how a tshirt has become looking like underwear now? The design on the shirt "looks" like lace as it's an imprinted image but I in no way thought it was something they should have reacted like that over? The image doesn't even wrap around her so therefor even less like "underwear" (or corset?- if that's what they were thinking).

Oh all the things listed on the dress code (and there is a lot) nothing states she couldn't wear something like this or even close to this. Heck, they can't even wear tank tops unless they are 3 fingers wide over the shoulder! Shorts have to come to knees too. I do not consider our district old fashioned by any means or "out of date". We are in a suburb of a Metro area.

nvts

Why not send your 11 year old to school in it!

It seems pretty extreme to get that bent out of shape over a t-shirt. If it had dirty or suggestive sayings, or tastless pictures, yeah, I can understand. But I've seen more obnoxious tats on kids in school.

Beth

muttmeister

If schools paid more attention to teaching kids things and spent less time on garbage like this, they might actually have time to teach the kids something, including something about the freedoms we're supposed to have as Americans.:mad:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, it does look a bit like a corset over a white t-shirt, but I don't really see any harm in it. Why don't the schools devote the energy they are spending on stuff like this to stuff that really matters...like bullying, maybe?

witzend

Well, it does look a bit like a corset over a white t-shirt, but I don't really see any harm in it. Why don't the schools devote the energy they are spending on stuff like this to stuff that really matters...like bullying, maybe?

Or teaching basic hygiene. Sewer rats aren't "fun to watch".

Fran

Former desparate mom
It's the problem with the "think police" Eventually it goes overboard. I'm sure the school could care less but
there is a lot of pressure for schools to control how the students dress, behave and think. Standards of dress
is acceptable but micro managing becomes stifling to the creative process.

klmno

OK- that is nowhere close to looking like underwear- clearly it's a T-shirt. No one her age would think it was underwear. This reminds me of the sd here mentioning having difficult child arrested when he was 8yo and took a 4" green or orange plastic squirt gun (the kind with the huge white "trigger" and you code see a plastic tube thru the plastic) for bringing a look-a-like weapon to school. People in control of our society these days have NO common sense anymore.

And just to be clear- I'm not saying my son was permitted to take a squirt gun to school or that he didn't get punished for it- just that it was a LONG way away from trying to take something that looked like a real weapon or warranting an arrest.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
difficult child once wore a t-shirt H bought her in FL. It was an entire aquarium filled with blowfish and the one on the back had a bubble above it that said, "Sometimes life blows" (H thought it really fit difficult child's persona to a T). One of her 8th grade teachers made her call me to bring her a new shirt. It was a big baggie shirt and it was a play on words and cute. I gave that jerk a piece of my mind. What a turd.

I agree the schools have more important things to focus on. Ugh.