Unemployed GFGmom and her SO were due at 8 am to clean...for money, of course.

DDD

I need the porch powerwashed, the house vacuumed and dusted, the paddle fans cleaned and a few other things. I offered the work for early this morning while husband is gone (he can't stand either of them) and the response was "we'll be there with bells on...thanks".

It is almost ten. Good Grief. Guess I shouldn't have tried to give them the chance to earn. I'll find strangers to do the job next week before the company comes. I must have had a brain burp when I made the offer. DDD

T

TeDo

We just keep trying don't we. You'd think we'd learn but it seems we never will, completely anyway. On the upswing, you tried. There is nothing else you can do. It's totally on them.

Try to enjoy your day.

DDD,

Sorry! Sounds so much like something difficult child 1 would do. If it's convenient for him, he'll do it, otherwise, forget it. I've had those "brain burps" too. SFR

DDD

At noon I had cleared all the books, magazines and games off the back porch and naively thought "well at least I'll get the porch done and the yard mowed". Sometimes I think I must have early stage dementia....how could I possibly expect that anyone from that house would produce? Dumb.

Lo and behold, after I sent GFGmom saying "thanks but no thanks I'll get someone else to clean the house but am expecting x and y here at lunchtime" I get a cheery emails saying "thanks for being so understanding we will be there tomorrow to get the work done". OMG! Sunday is literally "our day of rest" since we work 5.5 days a week! I replied "How to H did you get the impression that Sunday was a possibility...it ISN'T. Thanks anyway, I've got other people I'll turn to. Thanks anyway."

Oh my goodness gracious. It's been almost fifty years with that girl and I honestly thought that since they don't have any money that they would show up and at least do a half A job of it. Not. Like I said, I must be losing it. Meanwhile I've spent all afternoon chapped off and looking at the house wondering "how did I end up like this". Getting ready for company should be fixing good good, using the best towels and soaps etc. like civilized people do. NOT steam cleaning, vacuuming, dusting etc. because I just let it go. Compared to her house mine is Heloise but it is not ready for company. Ugh! Gripe! Whine! Etc. DDD

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Aside from gfgmom and SO's rude behavior, I think your guests will not notice if things aren't their usual sparkling self, no?

Do what you can, leave the rest. As long as your kitchen and bath is clean, fresh towels and sheets (if they stay over), and the food and conversation is good, I think it will go well!

I used to go hog wild before company, but then the cleanup was just as strenuous. So now I tidy up nice beforehand and save the hog wild for afterwards.

Last edited:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
In my younger days you could literally eat off the floors when I had company coming.

As I've grown older and my health isn't what it once was........then with school, and the crisis after crisis....... Well, Stang and Step can testify my house was anything but spotless. Clean, but not even really clean. My carpets either need steam cleaned like crazy or ripped up and replaced with hard wood, walls need painted.....I could go on forever here. But I've had to learn to let it go and forget it. I can't catch up over night.

They're coming to see you, not the house. Took me a long time to get that through my head. Which really shouldn't have been that hard since when I go visiting I no more pay attention to someone's house as far as how clean it is than the man in the moon.

Don't over fret and do enjoy your company.

Hugs