Unemployment a marital blessing in disguise...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
at least for me, anyhow. And NOT for what you're thinking! :tongue:

Since being home the past three months or so, and more notably the past three weeks since the kids have gone back to school, husband has developed a finer appreciation for what my life is like in dealing with the daily issues of school transit, school volunteering, homework, sports schedules and the like for three kids, two of which are difficult child's. And I'm not even talking about housework or bills or home repairs, errands, doctor appointments, gardening, pet care, laundry or all the other stuff that has to get done around here.

Normally, he would have missed the bulk of the homework hours and would arrive home in the midst of chaos and not understand why I was always so frazzled and dinner was not ever made on time. Well, it's because of having to follow three different school pickup times, and then getting everyone started on homework, and supervising the difficult child's to make sure they stay on task, have their materials, etc., etc. Intervene when they get distracted and start annoying eachother, or wandering around, or looking for snacks, or actually need help with their work, or.... dinner? What's THAT?

This year I actually have TIME to cook because husband is also here to help run interference when I'm busy in the kitchen at 4:00 trying to get stuff started.

I don't remember his exact words to me this week, but he essentially has said he can see how much help I need in dealing with the kids and how much hard work it is. I know that it's his medicated awareness combined with just being around that is the reason for this. Had he lost his job five years ago, he wouldn't have had this epiphany -- he would have been bugging the cr@p out of me with his hypomanic obessions.

I'm just so... I guess I'm feeling a little smug, a little vindicated, validated, appreciated -- elated. It's been a looooong time coming!

Lothlorien

My husband appreciates things a bit more when he's home all day with the kids when he's off for a few days or home sick. He realizes the scope of it all. I get where you are coming from.

OTH, my friends husband was laid off a few years ago. While he was laid off, she did find herself with surprise pregnancy! Be careful!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Now let's hope when he goes back to work he doesn't forget his insight. :D

My husband's insight so far has lasted a week. Now he's slipping back into old habits and aggravating the devil out of me. I hope he finds work fast.

Hugs

cindygirl

My husband is in construction. Even when he is home he remains blissfully unaware of the inner workings of the inner sanctum. He didn't used to listen but now that he is on his medications for his bipolar he listens a bit better but even now he confines himself to doing laundry, getting the dishes in the dishwasher ect. He can spend an hour and a half folding and putting away a load of laundry. When he used to vacuum he would start at dawn and go to lights out. He would vacuum everything including the toilet. When the kids got home he would disappear upstairs to the tv until bedtime because they don't listen. His idea of helping out is to yell for the kids to do something every minute. Even things that are easier to do ourselves then to argue with them. So if your husband is learning something, enjoy it.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I was thinking the same as Heather. It's about dang time he recognized the hard work you do. :)

Suz

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Amazing isn't it? When husband got laid off in 2003 he became very aware of tweedle dee & dum. In fact, he considered finding a way not to go back to work given the level of chaos & abuse I took from day to day.

I'm glad husband is finally seeing all the daily antics; perhaps he will finally appreciate all of your advocacy for your difficult children.

M

ML

I'm so glad you're gotten a moment of recognition. You truly are one fantastic woman!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I......wasn't thinking.....ANYTHING. :tongue:

But when Captain Hook can do it all backwards and in high heels and make it look like he's leading? Yeah. :D

Smug? You.....Pshaw! :peaceful:

Star*

call 911........call 911
......needed a spit warning - NOW I have to explain to purchasing why my 3 year old flat screen monitor smoked "suddenly" due to unexpected moisture (could it have fallen from the sky?) and needs replaced. I haven't the foggiest....dangdest thing - DID you see that? (kicking the paper towels under the desk, and rollin' up the soaked & sprayed calendar desk blotter. Hmmmm (shaking head) not a clue. :confused::tongue:

Ow.....that. just. hurts.

Shall i put a record on? OH....ow. :ashamed:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Yes sir reeeee Staples delivers veryyyyyy quickly - and my new flat screen looks better than ever - and who knew? You can get 2009 desk top blotters for $1.00 on clearance. - Nice shiney new things - Thanks for that. :tongue:

~there was some mention of a surgical mask - and no drinking in my office. (I've now cleverly disguised the Rum in a pound cake) ;)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Her boss don't know it, but she's got an EASY button in a secret compartment in her office. It's right next to the crazy button that was installed in the box where she keeps the rum... Whoops! Hit it again! :D