Unimportant thoughts about Breakfast.

DDD

Three breakfast topics came to mind as I was...lol...eating breakfast.
1. Overnight French Toast. Do any of you make it?
2. Cheap breakfast that most people don't fix. Hot white rice, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg with a little milk. My kids loved it and so do I.
3. Canned biscuit pancakes. Take each biscuit and pull the edges so it's thin round or thin oval. Put in preheated teflon skillet, brown each side and serve like pancakes. I often used paper plates for this quick breakfast so the kitchen was clean with-o any effort.
YUM! DDD

H

HaoZi

Never heard of overnight French toast. Sounds interesting!

You know what I loved that my grandma used to make for me when I was little? Pastina (little bitty star-shaped pasta) with butter and sugar. She used to bring it down with her from NY when she visited us in the summer, we couldn't get it in FL where I grew up. I think you can now, but back then? Nope. It was a special grandma thing, pastina and coffee (why I love coffee, it reminds me of grandma).

I'm not above making cinnamon sugar or powdered donuts out of canned biscuits ;)

DammitJanet

I love overnight french toast!

I hate rice and anything sweet. Tony makes this rice and eggs mixture that I think is yucky. To me it looks like something the dog yakked up. If I am eating rice, its as rice with butter and/or gravy.

The biscuits sound interesting. I do them either as normal biscuits or I fry them as homemade donuts. I have taken frozen rolls that come in the freezer section and patted them out and fried them out and made fried dough with jelly on it.

DDD

Hmmm....I've never heard of pasta with butter and sugar but it sure sounds good. I did make donuts once using the biscuit dough. Hadn't thought of that in decades either. The overnight french toast is popular because you do the prep in the evening, refrigerate and then just pop in the oven in the morning. The recipe I have uses 3/4 inch thick slices of french bread or challah placed in a buttered 9x13 baking dish. In a large bowl you beat 6 eggs, 1 1/4 C milk, 1/4 C half and half, 1/4 C sugar, 2 T maple syrup, 1 1/2 vanilla extract and 1/4 t of salt. That's poured over the bread. Then it's refrigerated, covered, overnight (suggested the slices be turned over once or twice to be sure they are evenly coated. Oila! In the morning you bake it in a preheated 400 oven for 15 minutes, turn over and bake for 20 minutes or until golden. You can run it under the broiler to brown more. Dust with 4X sugar and serve.

I "think" that a relative has a recipe that doesn't require turning etc. I like the idea of early prep. There's a great recipe that is egg based with brocolli and cheese that I've eaten a couple of times but never made. Boy, I've got food on my mind......and it's not organic food on my mind either! LOL DDD

DammitJanet

The overnight french toast is great for Xmas morning. Its almost like a bread pudding. Now I dont put the maple syrup in it but I serve it as a side to pour on top. I use the Texas Toast you can buy (if I can find it), if not then I do slice french bread.

DDD

Geez, I never thought of Texas Toast. Does it come with-o garlic? Can't quite wrap my head around garlic and syrup! DDD

H

HaoZi

Last time we made French toast (for Kiddo's homework, lol) we used Texas toast for it.

DammitJanet

Yeah...texas toast comes in a loaf like regular bread. Not the frozen stuff. Its just thick sliced. Now I am not sure if its still made because the brand I used to buy was Meritta. I think that is part of Hostess which went out of business. Im sure some other company makes it though. If not, just buy a loaf of uncut bread and cut it thick sliced. Thats all that it is. It was about the thickness of two slices of regular white bread.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Over night French Toast.......Whoda THunk? I'm going to make that without the sugar and give it a try. Thanks D3......

Can't quite figure out the biscuit pancakes.....Hungry Jack pancakes Light and Fluffy to me are so easy to make on a flat griddle.....Sometimes I make the batter the night before. And prep the bacon -----but mostly I just do it in the am.

DDD

That's a good think to know. husband is "in charge" of Christmas brunch so I'll see what he does. On the Board I have whined a few times about the weight I'm packing on. Tomorrow to heck with organic. I haven't tasted a pork product since March and I'm going to eat some bacon. I have avoided sugar most of these months and I'm going to eat French Toast. I'm also going to eat a crumpet with butter and jam. Plus, of course, hash browns and eggs. LOL!

It's a crying shame how much I enjoy food...REAL food. :) DDD

KTMom91

I noticed a recipe for overnight French toast in the Parade section in the paper this morning. I'd never heard of it before.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I found an INCREDIBLY easy way to make "hash brown" fried potatoes. DF wanted them one morning.....and I wasn't in the mood really to do all the prep work. So I scrubbed 4 potatoes, and put a fry pan on with a 1/4 cup of oil and stabbed the potatoes with a fork numerous times. I put them in the microwave for 10 mins, and cut up and onions and sauteed the onions......and then when the potatoes went ding? I took a large knife and sliced the nearly done potatoes in slices and put them in the oil with the onions and covered the fry pan with a lid. I had home fries in like - 15 mins.....nice, brown, perfectly crispy, on the edges of some.....and with onions to perfection. No par boiling. It was lovely.

susiestar

Roll With It
Eons ago I made strawberry banana overnight french toast for Christmas. It was a recipe from Taste of Home Cooking School and it got raves. I hated it. Something about the texture just didn't work for me, but I was the only one who didn't like it. Even uber finicky eater infant Wiz LOVED it. He was just over a year old and after the first bite refused to bother with his spoon and fork. He just dived in face first - literally just put his head down to his plate and started eating that way. I have long wished that we had a photo or video of that, lol!

We almost always used baked potatoes to make hashbrowns if we are making homemade. Of course much of the time I just buy frozen.

husband does a wonderful sausage and egg casserole when there is a potluck at church. Not sure what all he puts in it, but it is wonderful.

I often do homemade pancakes. I just use the recipe in the old version of Joy of Cooking but I use applesauce for part of the liquid and I add a bit of cinnamon. They are wonderful and super easy.

Recently Jess perfected a ham and cheese biscuit. she does homemade biscuits and pats them out very thin. then she puts a piece of ham and a bit of shredded cheddar on top of half of the biscuits and puts another biscuit on top of that. They bake up very nicely and make a great meal. we usually keep some in the freezer so that thank you can nuke one before he goes to school. If you stretched the tube biscuits this would be easy to do.

DDD

Starbie the biscuit pancakes aren't in my humble opinion as good as regular pancakes but you don't have to mix anything at all so it is fast, it is cheap and there's no cleanup before the kids head out for school and/or adults head out to work. I like fast and easy...especially in the am. DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Imagine............. I used to "cheat" for xmas breakfast and just do cinnamon rolls. lol

Travis and I are having our "breakfast" in just a few minutes. Breakfast for supper actually. Eggs, bacon, and toast. Easy and good. :)

donna723

Best thing I ever made was the "breakfast pizza" that my kids loved! One package of refrigerated crescent rolls is just enough to go in a regular size pizza pan to make the crust. Just arrange them in the pan with the points to the center, then pat it out until it's all sealed in to one solid crust with a little edge on it. You start with shredded frozen hash browns, about an inch of them, and LOTS of shredded cheese and chopped green onions. The rest is whatever you want to put on it - cooked crumbled bacon, mushrooms, leftover ham, just whatever you have. Then you beat several eggs (about 8 is usually right) with salt, pepper and a bit of milk, and pour it over the whole thing. Then you bake it until the eggs are set and all the cheese is melted. You use just enough eggs that it spreads over the whole thing but not so much that it will run over. This is one of those things that I don't really have exact amounts for, I just wing it, but it is soooo good you'll want to make extra so you can have leftovers.

DDD

Good Grief, Donna. I clicked "Like" and it showed up as "Unlike". I don't "Unlike" anything you share, LOL. Chances are that I will never learn how to use this software correctly. Sorry 'bout that...and Merry Christmas! DDD