Unimportant thoughts about Breakfast.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Donna, that breakfast pizza sounds divine! How long do you bake it? At what temp?

DDD, regarding #2- the white rice concoction. I was raised by a Mom who loved to remind me about how POOR they were during the Depression. "There were 5 of us kids and times were tough. Some nights the only thing we had for dinner was white rice, brown sugar and milk."

I'll bet I heard that story 1000 times growing up, whenever I wanted to spend money on anything that she perceived to be extravagant (practically anything in those days). You need to read the Depression sentence with the appropriate amount of wistfulness and martyrdom.

So one night when I was in college I was home for dinner and it was just the two of us. We had white rice for dinner. I reminded Mom of how many times I had suffered through hearing the story of the "rice dinner." She acknowledged that she hadn't had it in decades and got out brown sugar and milk and we each prepared a bowlful for ourselves.

Well, you have to know what came next. It was utterly delicious! OMG, we laughed and laughed and agreed that she could never repeat that story with any degree of POOR-ME again because we now knew they all must have loved it. :rofl:

Suz

donna723

Suz, that breakfast pizza recipe came out of a magazine years ago. I think it is baked at 350 but I honestly couldn't tell you for how long ... just till the crust is nicely browned and it's done. I jiggle it to make sure the eggs are set all the way to the middle. They will stay shiny even when they're set and done. If nothing else, take it out of the oven and just poke it in the middle to make sure the eggs are set. I love this because you can use anything on it that you want to. If you don't want to use bacon or ham, it's REALLY good with cooked, crumbled spicy pork sausage in it and I've sprinkled a little parmesan cheese over the top before baking sometimes too. Put the hashbrowns on it first, then everything else, then the shredded cheese over the top of it all, then pour the eggs over it.

DDD

What a great story, Suz! We use nutmeg and cinnamon with a trace of white sugar and a little milk. It may be that my Mother had this during The Depression, too. We didn't get the sob story, though. :) DDD

DammitJanet

Oh Depression Stories. I heard about how my father took either butter sandwiches or mayo sandwiches to school each day and if he was darned lucky he either got a tomato or an onion on the bread but never both at the same time!