Unsettling un-phonecall

TerryJ2

Can anyone explain this to me? My ph just rang. The caller ID had my own # on it. That's not possible because if I were to call myself, the ph would be busy.
Sometimes the ph company runs a signal through the system to make sure everything is working, but that doesn't leave any # on the Caller ID and it only rings once. This rang 3X and when I picked it up, there was silence.
I checked outside the house to make sure the lines weren't fiddled with (we have a 2nd ph line that is nearly identical, save one digit) but the box was fine.
Should I be thinking about that old play, where the woman is an invalid in bed, and she's home alone and her phone rings, and it's a murderer who has been stalking her, and the last line of the play is just a scream ... ?

on the other hand, a friend told me that you can program your ph for a wake-up call, which may have your own # on it. I have no idea how to do it, nor why it would be programmed for 1:45 in the afternoon.

Jena

ooh that was weird. ok no don't think about that play or movie that we both know how that ends.........

try *69 it and see what happens. my phone did the once also phone companies are out of their minds.

Andy

That is very weird. Things like this seem only spookier during the month of October!

Have you called a business this morning? Sometimes there are "call backs". If you can not get through, your phone will call them back when the lines clear. It is weird, your call, get a busy signal, hang up, and your phone will ring back to you. I don't know if the ring back would be your own number though.

Watch out for those angry pumpkins. Actually, I think I have come to love angry pumpkins because I used to tell my kids they looked like one when they were really upset at very small toddlers/babies.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Strange. Now we have 2 way calling and call waiting, but I've never, never had that happen.

Reminds me of the time when out of frustration I spoke something out loud about my grandfather that wasn't so nice, not even as a thought. The next second there was a hug KABOOM and the entire house shook as if in an earthquake.

I tried to shake it off being a sonic boom. But neighbors home at the time thought I was off my nut. Neighbor across the street had heard it but swore it didn't sound like a sonic boom to her, and she'd thought I'd blown up something in the house.

Needless to say I've never done that again. Never should've done it in the first place. I smell my grandpa's pipe tobacco often. No one here smokes a pipe. No one in the whole area smokes a pipe.....

Enter Twilight Zone music.

Terry, just what were you doing when the phone rang?

TerryJ2

Umm ... eating M&Ms.
I guess that's not part of the Basic Hypoglycemia Diet Plan.
Gramps is after me!!!!

witzend

Any chance someone has cloned your phone? Or put spyware on it? There are spyware programs that essentially dial into your phone and record everything - I mean everything - that happens with your phone. Is your "in use" light blinking? Then your phone is probably being used as a microphone to transmit all conversations going on in range of your phone right now. Here's a link that explains that:

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2008/05/05/cell-phone-spying-is-your-life-being-monitored/

susiestar

Roll With It
My phone always rings as soon as we hang it up. No spyware, or anything like that anyone can find. My buddy who works for the phone company has even checked things out, and he knows tricks that would blow your mind. I think it is because we have had the lines cut and fixed so many times (3 times cut by the phone company installing DSL lines, 5 times cut by neighbors learning how to use their new tractors and digging with-o calling that number, but the neighbors who have done that get it fixed faster than the phone co!) anyway, I don't have answers.

Just stay safe and if it keeps happening get a new phone. Also ask the kids if they have been goofing with the phones. Is this something difficult child would do? (Mine would if he could figure it out, LOL)

TerryJ2

Anything is possible.

Except that I was home alone with-the dogs.

When easy child got home today, I showed her the Caller ID with-our own # on it. Her response was, "Spooky. by the way, Taffy (the deaf dog) stood at the top of the stairs yesterday and barked at nothing."

Thanks a LOT!

donna723

;) Ha! Dogs just do that to freak you out! It's one of their little doggie jokes they play on their people! They'll stare at something that isn't there or bark like mad at 'something' that turns out to be nothing! After all these years, I've caught on to all their tricks.

One thing I've noticed about phones is that telemarketers can make all kinds of weird things come up on your Caller ID, probably even your own number! I've gotten several calls that supposedly came from local numbers in our tiny little town - they were telemarketers who were calling from somewhere else but somehow came through on a local number. I Googled the number and nothing came up. Maybe they figure that if your own number comes up, you'll answer it just to see what it is.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
That is strange. Reminds me of that babysitting movie...."the calls are coming from inside the house." (Of course after the bud Ice commercials then I here the penguins singing doobie doobie doo). Any penguins around?

beth