UPDATE...My lil sis has multiple pulmonary emboli in her lungs---NOT

Lothlorien

She in the ER right now. She has no idea what would cause this. She is only 37 and not on birth control. Hasn't smoked in many, many years. She just got over the flu, which went through her whole house. She was feeling better and then today, she had such severe chest pains that she went to the ER. My sister never goes to the doctor, if she can help it.

Need prayers, please.

Also, if anyone knows of any info regarding this type of diagnosis, please let me know. I'm searching internet, but nothing showing up on why a young woman would have multiple emboli like this. Doctor kind of freaked her out when he told her that he's never seen this in other than old, inactive people. My sis works out almost daily.

buddy

So glad she made it to the ER. I could be imagining things but does this sometimes happen in pregnancy? If so, could she be pregnant? Can't imagine that happening when she is so young. I hope they get to the bottom of it so it doesn't happen again.

Prayer said.....hugs,Dee

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Loth, my husband was snipped..........and I got Nichole as a surprise. Snipped doesn't always mean sterile. Just as with tubal ligation, sometimes the body "corrects" what the surgeon has done over time. It doesn't happen often, but more often than anyone would guess or that the medical community would like known.

I'm racking my brain and I can't say I'm coming up with anything that her docs probably haven't already thought of. Any history of blood disorders in the family? Clotting issues? (I'm sure doctor has already thought to ask that)

Umm. How about herbal remedies? Sis have any inclination toward that type of thing? I have a vague recollection at the tip of my brain about some of them causing clotting issues if used improperly. (I'm not saying your sis did, you can follow package directions and still use a herbal remedy improperly, depending on manufacture, it's why you have to be very careful with them)

Scary! So glad she listened to her body and went to the doctor.

Prayers going up. Please keep us updated.

(((hugs)))

DammitJanet

Adding prayers. I also had pulmonary embolism back when I was in rehab. I also had one in my leg. DVT. It is very serious. The pain is bad but what got me worse was not even being able to hardly move because of lack of O2. Im sure they have her on heparin or warfarin shots in the hospital which should help. Now mine had a pretty obvious reason but I dont know why she would get them but then again I was getting heparin shots daily to avoid them too. If I remember correctly I was in a hospital room (as opposed to my rehab room) for about 6 days. Maybe 5. I know I didnt like it as well as my rehab room...lol.

Mattsmom277

Healing vibes headed your sisters way. I too haven't a clue what could cause this in a healthy younger woman. I sincerely hope she is feeling much better today and the docs can sort her out quickly

Olligator

Hi,

I'm a lurker with my own difficult child, but I wanted to let you know that my 39 year old sister went through this last year. She was getting over bronchitis, and had the horrible chest pains when they discovered the emboli in her lungs. She was on Coumadin for a while and had to have regular bloodwork. They never found a reason for it -- no birth control, no recent air trips, etc -- it was just one of those things. She is perfectly well and healthy today. I am saying a prayer.

witzend

Hopefully they will do a genetic test for Factor V Leiden. This is actually a fairly common disease and can cause PE's for no apparent reason. It can also cause spontaneous abortions of pregnancy, both of which I have had. You can go for years without a problem and then have clots for no apparent reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factor_V_Leiden

Lothlorien

Hound, yes, she did a cleanse not too long ago, because she had some pain that she thought was gall bladder issues. Thinking about it now, it could have been related to what she's going through now.

I just got off the phone with her. The rinky dink hospitals we have in this country is appalling. They sent her home after CT scan, after giving her the contrast (which she is allergic too) and didn't give her any additional prednisone other than the two pills she took...one last night and one this morning. Then, on top of that, the radiologist isn't there to read the CT scan. WHAT THE HECK???? It's a hospital. How can they not have a radiologist on at all times that can read a CT scan. What if someone came in with a brain bleed? OMGosh, I want to spit nails right now. I'm ready to drive down to Florida and bring her back to NJ.

She's at home alone...there aren't any family members near there and she have very few friends. Husband is working and kids are at school. She has to drive there to pick them up. What happens when the prednisone wears off and she begins to have a reaction to the contrast? I just don't understand. I'm a lay person and I know better.

Thank you for all the prayers and support.

Olligator, thanks for popping in and letting me know your experience with this. I hope you feel free to post now.

Witz, I'll let her know about that. Thanks

Lothlorien

Janet, they have not given her any anticoagulants yet. This is another thing that is ticking me off.

She was looking this up online. These spots that were seen 'could' also be a result of a bacterial infection. She just got over the flu....a really bad one. She also has a chronic bronchial thing from years ago, but it's not actively bothering her like it did in her early 20s.

Regardless if it's bacterial or they are from clots, they should have her on antibiotics and anticoagulants immediately. What are they waiting for? If they find it's not a clot, they can just take her off the ac.