Update. Not a good one.

susiestar

Roll With It
He got fired. I am so angry at them. He has worked so HARD in this new group, proposal development. They had 3 people QUIT because they hated it before he got there.

They brought new hires in. That pi$$es me off. Bigtime.

Now I wait for him to come home. he will be way upset. My mom is having my dad get the kids so husband and I can plan strategy and what to tell them.

Thanks for the prayers. I don't know what we will do. We have no real equity in our home.

We probably will not be able to keep it.

flutterby

Fly away!
I'm so sorry. I take it OK is an employ at will state. It's really pathetic of them to do what they're doing. It makes me sick.

(((hugs)))

DammitJanet

Im so sorry. Make sure he goes right down and signs up for unemployment. Sign the kids up for medicaid. Did they give him any sort of compensation package?

susiestar

Roll With It
i just had a fast im that he got sacked adn was coming home, that he might go ahead and go to sam's or he could drive down tomorrow if he just couldn't handle it tonight.

My parents came and got the kids so we could come up iwth a plan and then tell them together. i think Jessie already figured out he got fired. But we didn't say.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I'm glad you have some support in place. I don't believe their nerve.

LOTS of HUGS. For both of you.

susiestar

Roll With It
They may call it laid off, but the reality is that they won't rehire anyone. This is the first time that they have done this. So if they call it laid off, or reduction in force (rif) or whatever, he would have had better options going to work for one of the factories. So far Armstrong flooring and Mercruiser (Mercury Marine - makes boat engines) have each given employees a 1 week furlough, as the local university did with summer employees.

I am doing my best not to cry, though I am sure we will do that when he comes home.

At least he isn't the type to go get drunk in times like this.

I jsut really wish I had a few xanax - one for each of us.

DammitJanet

Laid off means no problem getting unemployment too. Fired is fired for a valid reason not for company is downsizing and laying off staff.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
That truly bites. I'm so sorry. At least he can file immediately for unemployment benefits. You can do that online in our state, so look into it and get him to take care of that right away. It's better than nothing. Have him join a networking service like LinkedIn, too.

(((HUGS)))

susiestar

Roll With It
I have not heard of linkedin. I will look into that. Also into online unemployment. Cause we are gonna need this.

I know he will be kicking himself that he won't find a job because he is older (over 50). But he has been doing the stairs at work and has lost over 20 pounds so he is looking better than many of their employees.

I hope they at least gave a good severance pkg. He has over 40 days of PTO and needed to take at least 20 of them by the end of the calendar year.

He still isn't home. I imagine he is trying to get ideas for a new job. He has a couple of coworkers who have started their own firms, so that might be a place to look.

klmno

((HUGS)) It bites right now to be unemployed. At least he'll probably be able to get unemployment. Try not to stress too much- he's going to needd you not to panic.

susiestar

Roll With It
He has a good severance package, including health benefits for 2 months. They will even give him help finding another job, which is good.

The big boss in his office was working to not cry, as was he. Lots of people were followed to get their computer and security walked them out. He was given all the time he needed AND help carrying his stuff out. AS the motivational guys in these places tend to do, he had a bunch of stuff making his cubicle fun.

He is surprisingly together. While I am the one focused on planning or falling apart. I bet he will even do the unemployment stuff today.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I'm glad he seems to be handling it well. It's always a blow, expected or not. As for the unemployment, I think it varies from state to state but here, you don't start getting benefits until after any kind of severance is paid out. (Vacation days, severence pay, etc.) Also, even though I can file my weekly vouchers online, I still had to go to the unemployment office for the initial filing.

When I lost my job, I was fired. Turns out I have adult ADD and numbers just aren't my thing....which was all I was dealing with. But, because my mistakes weren't intentional and I had tried to improve, I still qualified for unemployment.

It still hoovers that he lost his job but I'm glad he's got severance and you guys are covered for a couple of months. Fingers crossed that he finds something else soon!

DammitJanet

I dont think the severance thing is in play right now with this economy thing. They want folks to sign up immediately. At least that is what I have heard on tv and Oprah with that Suzy woman. Cant spell her last name...lol. I do think there is a two week waiting period or something like that though.

Do be aware though that unemployment is taxable income. Dont get caught with your pants down on that.

donna723

Oh Susie, I am so sorry. That really hoovers! At least though, if they let several others go at the same time, it was nothing personal.

It may be different in other places but here you have to be without pay for one week before the unemployment kicks in. Where my son works they were going to lay off half the employees and just make one shift out of the higher producing ones that they were going to keep - my son would have still had a job. But instead they decided to go with several temporary 'furloughs' but the way they did it really stinks! For several weeks they had them working just ONE day a week instead of five, which made them all ineligible for unemployment!

Susie, I will hold good thoughts that he is able to find another job very soon.

Last edited:

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
As far as the medical goes, assuming he will be offered Cobra:

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Tax Act of 2009 (the "Act") was signed into law on February 17, 2009. This new law dramatically affects employers whose group health plans are subject to COBRA, which includes virtually all employers who employed 20 or more employees on 50% of its typical business days during the preceding calendar year.
As an employer who is potentially impacted by this legislation, prompt attention must be paid to the substantial requirements under the Act and its affect on COBRA. Specifically, the Act provides a 65% government subsidy toward COBRA coverage to employees who are involuntarily terminated between September 1, 2008 and December 31, 2009, as well as their family members who are eligible for COBRA due to such termination

I want to say this is in place for a 9 month term - check with their HR people who a LOT of times don't say anything about this new Cobra rule.

Marcie

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I didn't want to click on this. I was afraid I knew what you had posted.

I am so very sorry. This just stinks.