Update. Not a good one.

Marguerite

He needs to do more than just read "jobs available ads" in the paper and online - he needs to make sure his CV is up to date, he needs to print himself a few copies then pound the pavement walking in and asking for a job. Because as you said - he's trimmed down, he liiks buff, if they eyeball him they will not think to themselves, "over 50" as readily as if they just read his application letter. Also, walking in and asking shows initiative and they get to meet him in person.

I got a job like that - I had rung up to apply for a job, was told "it's not suitable for females," then I began to really steam so I went in to see them in person. On the way in I wrote an application letter - not usually the done tihng to hand-write although back then (pre-personal computers) it was acceptable.
I got in there, they were surprised but impressed. I was shown exactly WHY they felt a woman couldn't do the job I wanted. I argued and showed them how I would resolve the problems. They said, "We wouldn't want to risk you doing the heavy work, but we've just had another job open up, it hasn't even been advertised yet, we think you will be perfect for that one. It's a more senior job and the pay would be better. We've not had a woman do it before but we know you could."

So I walked out with a DIFFERENT job. I ended up working for them for 10 years before I got invalided out.

But if I had simply accepted the "no" over the phone and not argued about it, I never would have even known about the job I ended up getting.

And the irony - some years later the job I had originally aplied for, fell vacant again - and they gave it to a slip of a girl, she was physically tiny. But she was the best they had ever had in that job! I rubbed the boss's nose in it, well and truly! (in a nice way... we were mates).

Marg

trinityroyal

Oh Susie, I'm so sorry to hear this. Sounds like your husband is bearing up well.

I strongly agree with whoever recommended LinkedIn. I think I remember the company your husband was working for, and it's in a similar field to mine. LinkedIn is a primary source of leads, networking, business contacts, etc.

If you would like specific details about using LinkedIn, setting up a profile, etc., please PM me.

Trinity

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ah, Susie...so, so sorry. I think I have a few of those been there done that t-shirts. The positive, if there is one, is that he was laid off and not fired. That opens up a lot of options. I think you will also find that creditors right now are VERY willing to work with you.

Hugs, hon. Maybe this will open up a new opportunity for husband.

Abbey

Star*

call 911........call 911
Susie,

I'm so sorry this truly was not a good update. However, if there is one person that I am confidant can be the silver lining in a storm cloud with saving and pulling it together in tight times - it is YOU.

I will continue to hold you in good thoughts and prayers. This is just so unfair - such a great, fun, inventive man. I hope they sink without him. I know that is mean - but I think it's fair.

Sending you extra hugs today. Much love.
Star

lovemysons

Oh Sus,
I am so sorry that this has happend. I hope you are doing okay today...haven't seen a post from you today. Will keep you guys in my prayers.

Hugs and Love,
Tammy

M

ML

I am so sorry Susie. This is terrible news. I'm getting furloughed 4 days over the next 4 months and just feeling grateful to still have a job. Being a paycheck to paycheck family I can't even go there to think about what we would do. I am praying that something good comes out of this and something materializes for your family. Thinking of you tonight xoxo ML

graceupongrace

Hugs. I've been there done that and it's not fun. But it really is true: sometimes when one door closes, another, better one opens up. Hope that happens for him. Soon.