Update on difficult child 1's academic issues

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Apparently difficult child 1's science teacher (whose class he was getting a D- in and ultimately pulled it up to a D) took my pleas for help to heart and had a chat with the guidance counselor.

Turns out there IS a smaller science class and they've decided to move him to it -- 23 kids instead of 38. It's called a support class. Slower pace, more time to complete work, curriculum is the same but explained differently, and obviously, the benefit of a smaller class size.

They acknowledged that he was too anxious and stressed in the big classes and they realize that stress can lead to other health problems with him (IBS for one, and if he gets a Crohn's flare it can be worse if he's under a lot of stress).

He was failing his computer apps class (essentially a word processing class with approx. 40 students), but with all the extra after school work he did to try to catch up, he managed to pull his grade up to a C-. This class is only one more quarter long so he stays put there and then he transitions to the second half of the course where he learns more technology stuff (robotics, engineering, architecture, computer-aided design).

The only downside is that because of the schedule change, he loses two teachers he was working with really well (Lang Arts and Algebra). He's not thrilled about that, but I'm told the new teachers are just as good and are well-liked by the kids.

So fingers crossed as we start the new quarter today that these changes will help him have a better year!

klmno

GEEZ, 38 kids in a class sounds more like a college to me. That is way too many, even for a easy child. I'm glad you were able to get it changed. I hope our schools can get more help to better accommodate our kids. Hopefully, difficult child will adjust easily.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well NOW he's mad because the new Algebra teacher's accent is impossible for him to understand anything he says, and the new Lang Arts teacher is "strict" and doled out four detentions today to one student, and his PE class is HUGE (60 kids) and the teacher has said it's his worst class because of the kids with behavior problems in it. :(

Can't win!

witzend

I'm glad to hear that he is getting into a better science class. It's rough that he has to change his other classes, but hopefully this will be a better fit.

Sheila

38 in a class is too many students for any classroom or teacher. Whew!

Kudos to your sd for being willing to attempt to find a solution.

F

flutterbee

38 students with one teacher?!! :holymoly:

I'd give the other classes a few days or so to see if his attitude about them changes. It could be anxiety and a bit overwhelming that's making him feel that way. A lot of our kids don't handle change well.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
One change was totally unnecessary and could prove to be a whole new problem where none existed before (they switched his PE and Algebra classes -- just unnecessarily flip flopped the periods -- and he had no problem in these classes to begin with). I just emailed and called the counselor to request that he be moved back.

You think 38 is bad... there are 60 in his new PE class! He had 50 in the old one.

witzend

It would be great if they could change the PE and algebra classes back. He doesn't need any more upset than he already has.

susiestar

Roll With It
Why on earth would they have just changed his PE and Algebra classes?? And 60 kid in PE??? My mind boggles. But it boggles at 38 kids in a science class too. Though my dad taught science classes that were that large.

To think I had fits last year when thank you's class went over 25 kids.

I AM glad he is in a better science class. Sounds like it will fit his needs.

M

ML

I hope you get those two classes switched back. I'm also very happy to hear he will have some smaller classes. Way cool! ML

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, no one would let difficult child 1 speak to the counselor today and pretty much told him "tough luck" and that his schedule would stand as is. I still hadn't gotten a call back from the counselor so I called her at 4pm and caught her before she left.

Apparently difficult child 1's old math teacher was upset that he was pulled from her class (!) and she expressed that to the counselor today. I made my point about the PE and Algebra classes being switched for no reason and my concern about creating NEW problems for him. She said she was going to take the master schedule home tonight and try to figure out why he was switched and see if she could just put him back where he was before. Apparently there were several people involved in making schedule changes for a number of students that needed to be put into this type of "sheltered" class as they call it, and she did not know how or why his other classes got changed.

So hopefully I'll get good news tomorrow and we can move on with life!

LittleDudesMom

I hope you get the answers you need today. Goodness knows that changes are not a good thing for out difficult children. I'm glad the school listened about the science class and know you will fight for pe and algebra to be restored!

Sharon