Update on difficult child and IEP Meeting

jal

I posted in SpecEd, but want to place this here too because of my question regarding sensory processing disorder (SPD).

Had an IEP meeting yesterday to go over the Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation. I have long suspected that along with-Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) difficult child had sensory processing disorder (SPD) (sensory processing disorder). psychiatrist had been saying it was ADHD all along although none of the umpteen medications we tried ever worked. School Occupational Therapist (OT) confirmed it.

Now he will receive 1 hour Occupational Therapist (OT) a week broken into 30 min sessions. Has anyone had a difficult child with sensory processing disorder (SPD) and has found success with the Occupational Therapist (OT)?

Our difficult child has never had any formal testing by the SD and the new psychiatrist wants the WISC-IV, BRIEF and NEPSY. SD has agreed to do all testing. They have also offered extended school year with a summer program.

On a really bright note, difficult child has only been in the therapeutic school for just around 3 1/2 months and has made large strides in behavior, writing, spelling and math. I got teary when they showed us the difference in his beginning work until now. We all see marked progress since the introduction of the fluoxetine. I am very proud of him and thankful for all our supports.

Now if I could just find daycare...UGH!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Jal,
Sounds like the meeting was helpful. My difficult child received Occupational Therapist (OT) but didn't have sensory processing disorder (SPD). It was great for him because they not only worked with his handwriting but how he could calm down at school.