Update on difficult child in New Orleans

Nancy

She's called several times. Said she is exhausted and ready to come home and she and her roommates have gotten into several little squabbles but nothing serious. She seems to understand it's hard to live with someone in such tight quarters 24/7. I asked her if she'd gotten into trouble at all and she said no. Whew/phew. She did say that there was so much going on there that she couldn't wait to get home. I asked if she was taking her medications and she said yes but I'm sure the constant stimulation is hard for her.

She just texted me and said that the color guard gets to carry out that large flag onto the field at pregame and she is between the 45 and 50 yard line closer to LSU. She is so excited.

And she thanked me for cleaning her roomn while she's gone. Who ever would have thought two years ago that she would be doing this well for us to even let her go on the trip.

Nancy

houseofcards

I'm hapy for you both. I love to hear positive news and forward progress. Maybe she will appreciate home a little more when she returns. Its nice that she knows she can vent to you a bit with the commotion, we all know how much just being able to talk about things helps us all handle it better.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Nothing says "Home is Good" like a 14x18 room full of teenagers that have issues of their own.

I think this was a tremendous growing experience for her, and such a nice break for you = FINALLY.

And a thank you for cleaning her room? TAKE A PICTURE - lol

Thanks for the super duper report. Yes indeed, who would have thought?

Happy for you Nancy,
Hugs
Star

Nancy

Star her room looks terrific. I even shampooed the carpet. Can't wait for her to see it, but husband says not to get too excited because it will be a disaster in two days.

Nancy

How exciting for both you and difficult child! It is just wonderful that she has been able to have this experience and also do so well. I know that you are so proud of her.

difficult child and I usually scrape out his room out throughly every 3 months -same with his backpack and his locker at school. As I am sure that you know, you don't want to even think about the things that we find in there.

klmno

She's having a great time that she'll remember forever, you got a little break, she appreciates you a little more (at least right now!), you miss her (admit it!), GEE, Mom, I think you deserve some congratulations!!

And she does, too!

Nancy

Yay I just saw her holding the flag. I can pick her out from the back a mile away. Long blond pony tail and looking at her girlfriend next to her. I'm sure they were thrilled. They focused on her back at least three times.

Nancy

TerryJ2

<span style="color: #FF6600">Woo hoo!</span>
I know how you feel about shampooing the carpet.
:rolleyes:

witzend

The halftime was the only part of the game that I watched. I knew she would be one of the flag bearers, though I wasn't sure which. You can be very proud of her, and she should be proud of herself.

Nancy

Witz they didn't show the part of the halftime show with the high school bands and colorguards. They showed the OSU and LSU bands but then cut to the announcers in front of the field. All you could hear was the music in the background and see some of the band members through the announcers. I was disappointed they didn't show them.

I am so proud of her. She had a blast but as predicted she ran out of money and has no money to buy lunch or dinner today on the ride back. Breakfast is free so I told her to eat a lot but she hates breakfast food. I knew budgeting her money would be tough for her.

Text messaging is great, we were able to 'talk' with her all evening while she was at the game.

Nancy

Penta

It's such a big step for your daughter to make this trip. I hope she comes home with memories to share. I know NOLA is a tale of 2 cities now. I hope she was able to experience the true essence of the city...the culture, beautiful architecture,and food.

Did she see any of the still devastated areas? I haven't been back since last spring.

Nancy

Yes they took them on a tour of the levees and many of the homes that were destroyed. She said it was so sad to see the X's on the roofs and the number of people found dead in each home. She said they were all struck by how short the levees were and could see why they wouldn't hold the water. They also helped clean up a park for several hours and she said it was a complete mess.

The buses finally rolled in at 2 A.M. after starting out at 1:30 A.M. the previous morning. One of the buses broke down and they had to wait for a replacement and one of the buses had kids who very sick with the flu. They had to drive through a horrible rainstorm and it was pouring buckets when we picked them up. They had to unload the band uniforms and instruments so everyone was soaked to the bone.

They were told they had to be in school at 7 A.M. this morning so she got 3 hours sleep and off she went. She tried to protest but I told her if everyone else had to go in so did she...and she went. Frankly I was suprised. I was hoping the school would give them a delayed start time but they already gave them two excused days so they wouldn't.

It was an awesome experience although I know she was ready to come home and finally sleep in her bed.

Nancy

Coookie

Nancy,

Just popped in and your thread brought tears to my eyes. :crying: What strides your difficult child is making and even if there is a "setback" you have wonderful memories for your mother's heart. :smile: We definitely need those. :smile:

Hoping it all continues.

Hugs