Update on difficult child

Kathy813

Staff member
Hello all!

Thank you for all of your support during last week's drama. I thought y'all might want an update. difficult child stayed at the halfway house. She called from their phone (since hers is blocked) and asked us to buy her food for the sober house and to get her Celexa for her.

I asked what made her decide to stay and she said that she had a long talk with the director and decided to try to work the program. I asked her what changed her mind and she said that she had nowhere else to go.

I am not impressed with the sober house but at least she is not here. I have spoken with the director a couple of times and the rules are very loose. She is supposed to be looking for work this week.

We will see how this turns out. I have a feeling she is going to get very upset when we tell her about our plans for Thanksgiving which don't include her.

~Kathy

Nancy

she said that she had nowhere else to go.
My difficult child has said this several times and it tugged at my heart each time. It's so sad that they allow themselves to get to that point in their lives and as a mom I just wish I could protect her from that. It's probably one of the sadest things a mom has to hear from their child.

I really hope she stays.

Nancy

buddy

Thanks for the update. I am glad she is safe for now. No matter the reasons, I suppose if she is there, then there is a little more chance for something to get through to her and baby step by baby step (and stumble) maybe she can make some progress. I can imagine you have felt that hope a thousand times already and then the disappointment if it doesn't go that way. Enjoy your TG day drama free... I pray she will just accept the situation and eat turkey with peers there. {{HUGS}}

DammitJanet

well glad she decided to stay no matter what the reasons. Most of us have had to stay someplace we didnt want to be because we just didnt have a choice at one point in life. Maybe not a rehab or jail but in a dinging apartment or across the country from family at times.

So she cant come to TG this year, that happens to many young people at times. Dont feel so sorry for her. Think about how many members of the military arent going to be at home with their families for the holiday's and its for far worse reasons than difficult child. You can actually see her and have seen her recently. Military families havent seen their loved ones in months and God Forbid, the worse happens, they may not. Now doesnt that put her situation in perspective?

P

PatriotsGirl

She is still there and hopefully she will work the program. My brother went to rehab because he had nowhere else to go. He was homeless and all of his family had turned their backs on him. He has been sober for years now and is someone to really look up to. It can work. :)

Nancy

Kathy, I just can't get that out of my head, "no place else to go". It's different than just being someplace you don't want to be. It's realizing you are completely alone and have nowhere to go. It's heartbreaking and yet it's the bottom that we want our difficult children to reach before they start to crawl up. It is still hard for a mom to hear.

Hugs,
Nancy

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I think it's the best you can expect under the circumstances. Who knows, maybe something will "click" while she's there. Just take this one day at a time.

Hugs.

busywend

Hopefully, some day she will look back on this time and it will make her desire to never be here again that much stronger.