Update on M

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I'm sorry, again, Witz. I do understand your feelings and concerns about M and any family discussions.. I vividly remember a few of those when Oldest was hospitalized; it felt like the therapist/social worker was trying to get me to admit some "fault" and to get me to feel sorry for Oldest and her situation (which was of her own making). I was made to be the bad guy, in a way. It's not an easy place to be. I hope that your fear turns out to be without merit, and that whatever discussions that are held are healthier than that. I'm so glad M is safe and will be in a safe place for the next few days.

Kathy813

Staff member
I don't know what to say . . . just know that I am thinking of you and your family.

{{{Hugs}}}

~Kathy

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
No words here, either. Just now that M and your family are in my thoughts. I hope, even though it's a short stay, that the psychiatric hospital can give him at least some tools to set him on the path of being able to cope with what is going on in his head.

crazymama30

Hugs and thinking of you. I hope he can work this out without blaming you. I wish I had more to say. I have dealt with suicide, but never an attempt. Hugs.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay sister - here it is.......(ahem)

YOU have not gone backwards or done baby steps by ANY stretch of the imagination. I would call it leaping the broad jump of parental detachment if anything. So that just needs to go right out of your head. I know (not think, not believe, not ever wonder) that you have taken huge strides in walking a painful road and detaching from your children and their issues. You say you weren't the best parents....well, (scratches head, twists lip) Yeah - who among us given 20 years experience in knowing now what we wished we would have known then wouldn't OPT in spades to go back in time and do it again with the knowledge we acquired through hard learned lessons?? (I raise my hand - both of them). YOU BOTH parented to the best of your ability and that's to be applauded. When things got out of control? You sought help, you found this place and you have stayed active in participating AND offering sound advice -albeit at times truthful, yet things people really didn't want to hear - but you were courageous enough to step up and say - "THIS is bs, not good, enabling, lying....or good, right, excellent job." I mean - what more could you possibly expect out of yourself?

You my dear friend, have not in any way - failed Matt. He is a man that has issues, and problems and you did help him. You've helped him to the point of realizing if you had done any more helping? It would have been enabling then backed off, detached and allowed Matt the freedom and space he needed to fall - the only real way I think our kids learn to help themselves. I mean - he DID check himself into a hospital right? How would he have known to do that? And yes I read - he tried to hang himself unsuccessfully. So did Dude - twice - both a result of medication (Zoloft) and depression, and a cry for help.

Despite what you are going through now? You need to know from at least one other Mom with a significantly difficult and ill child that YOU ARE A GOOD MOM. You did the best you could with what skills you had at the time. You didn't purposely look at M and say "Well....I'm not going to be a good Mom today - figure it out on your own." You did that? Because you were being a good Mom. Things that hurt us with our children aren't easy to deal with . The easier thing to deal with is fixing them all the time until they get to a point where they have no abilities to fix themselves and we as parents get so tired of them - we do shut them out of our lives.....you have not done that.

You and your family are in my prayers -
Hugs & Love
Star

witzend

Thanks. He is home and has filled his medications. He says he has a "standing appointment" on Saturday (but he's been missing them, so how "standing" are they...) with his therapist. The "friend" is staying with him for a few days. I hope that she won't coddle him, but I do think that she will. It's the last thing he needs. It's been obvious since he was a child - even his first psychiatric evaluation at age 7 said so.

husband and I are doing better. Detaching and hoping for the best.