Update on mom, etc.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I had a really and truly nice chat about mom with my loco sister today. It just went so well and we agreed on everything.

My sister who lives nearest to mom contacted the Dept od Aging in PA and set up an appointment for mom with a caseworker along with an appointment with her DR for a full physical - I still insist she should be seen by a gerontologist, so I think my sister will ask DR for a recommendation.

She is going to speak with the DR first without my mom so she can list out the issues we're seeing. Since mom is already in "the system" and receiving benefits, once the mental health assessment is completed we should have a clearer picture of what level of care she is eligible for.

Right off the bat we already know that she will be eligible for in home care from an aide who will do light housekeeping, help her bathe and dress, and check her medications - we need this to be daily. They also said she's eligible for Meals on Wheels, which I suggested a year ago. She's only eligible for 3-4 days/week, so we will have to supplement with a food service company for the remaining days.

Sister & I discussed how we need to do this step by step and I can't tell you how relieved I am that loco sister and I were able to have a coherent conversation and agree on every point. Amazing!

TerryJ2

Wow! That's great!
I hope it sticks. (Sorry ... that's me, always waiting for the other shoe to drop.)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Jo

That's great news. I'm sure it comes as a huge relief to you to have sis cooperating.

Hugs

:rudolph:

F

flutterbee

Jo -

This has to be such a huge relief for you. I'm glad that your mom will, at the very least, be getting the services you mentioned.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Thanks everyone. I am so relieved to at least know that we're moving in the right direction.

Witz, my brother is definitely on board. My oldest sister was actually angry with him because he was the first to mention 'nursing home' a few years ago. But now sis sees that it doesn't havt to be like the olden days of nursing homes where people sit in hallways hunched over in wheelchairs sitting in their own mess, waiting to die.

Yeah, still very very happy and relieved.