Update on my ds

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by happy, Apr 10, 2011.

  1. happy

    happy Guest

    So I sent a letter to the school to evaluate my son. We had a meeting and a couple days later I get a letter sent that my son doesn't need Special Education. Well no kidding, He is a A+ student. He just doesn't focus and sit still. The following of directions is getting a tad better.

    I called the school and left a message -she was out in meetings for the day, that we knew that he didn't need sp ed and that I wasn't satified with their answer. "Your son is bright, doesn't need sp ed, maybe just has organizational problems and can't focus. We feel he will excel and no further action needs to be given."

    Huh?? Is that it? They think I should re-address this in 3rd grade if he has a problem.
  2. rlsnights

    rlsnights New Member

    It sounds like he may need a 504 plan to address these issues.

    Put simply, a 504 plan levels the playing field by providing supports to the child with disabilities so they can function in a regular classroom without the curriculum having to be changed for them. For example, a child with ADHD who is having trouble sitting still might have a one leg stool or ball to sit on that keeps his body moving while not distracting him from working. Or if he's easily distracted the 504 plan might specify that he's seated at the front of the room, away from trash cans, doors, pencil sharpeners etc.
  3. happy

    happy Guest

    With school getting out in 2 months, should I even pursue this? Maybe just start in the fall?
  4. aeroeng

    aeroeng Mom of Three

    You should pursue it now, if for no other reason that things will be in place for next year.

    My son has an "ADD" diagnoses in his IEP. Yet the Spanish teacher recently sent him to the principles office because he was having troubles paying attention. Kind of like sending a blind kid to the office because he has troubles seeing the board. We're working on strategies for next year now as well. (gerr).
  5. TerryJ2

    TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

    I agree. Pursue it NOW. It will only get worse (the system, not your son) if you don't.
    Go for a 504.
  6. exhausted

    exhausted Active Member

    I would pursue the 504- you will need a diagnosis as this service is provided for those with disabilities. It provides accomodations. As a teacher, and past Sp. Ed. teacher, and the mother of an ADHD child, you will need to be vigilant about the implementation of the plan as it requires teachers to accomodate these children. Some are better than others and Jr. High/High School teachers are often the most difficult to get to follow the plans. In our state it is difficult to get the Sp. Ed. department to do ADHD assessments esp. when no learning problems are present. As a mom, I would want a psychiatrist to do it anyway. Our insurance covered this for our son. The sooner the better-early intervention is best.
  7. happy

    happy Guest

    Thanks exhaustedinutah, my son doesn't have any learning problems and is getting A+'s on everything and is in advanced reading so I think they don't there is a problem and I'm nuts or something.

    I sat down with the teacher/principal and Supervisor of Special Services and the response from the district to request for SE evaluation was shot down. They aren't proceeding with an evaluation. Where do I go from here, a 504? Thanks
    I thought a 504 was for SE?
  8. happy

    happy Guest

    rslnights~after reading up on the link you provided about 504's, doens't look like I will beable to pursue this any further. A parent can't request one and with the letter I rec'd that, "the district does not have evidence nor suspect a disablity, therefore will not proceed with an initial evaluation for SE. I think I just hit a dead end with it this year and will have to fight next fall?
  9. comatheart

    comatheart Guest

    Here's a flowchart on what you need to do and in what order. http://portal.esc20.net/portal/page...pecialEducation/ChildFind/ChildFindBinder.pdf

    If you are able to get an evaluation. and do not agree with them, you can request an IEE. (Independent educational evaluation) Here's some more info on how to do that: http://www.ldonline.org/article/14621

    We've had to go down that route with my 12 yr old. In the end, they paid for a full neuropsychologist evaluation which would have cost us upwards of $1200! Interestingly, the IEE testing showed my son had significant disabilities. The school originally said he was fine. These schools don't want to pay for services unless they absolutely have to.
  10. comatheart

    comatheart Guest

    ...oh, and definitely pursue it now. These things take forever to work out. Oh, and always put EVERYTHING in writing.
  11. pepperidge

    pepperidge New Member

    Sorry, I don't know the specifics of your situation. I'm going to play the devil's advocate. What do you really want for him? Do you want the teacher to do certain things? Is the teacher refusing? What is really the issue?

    Again not knowing the specifics but with a kid who is excelling either you have to identify specific accommodations that you want the teacher to make and then document that teacher won't make them I think if you want to get anywhere.

    Sounds like he ought to be tested for the gifted and talented program or whatever they call it in your district--maybe that is part of whatever problem he has?

    While I am in favor of kids getting services early-it is really hard to tell from what you have said if your son is within normal behavior.organization parameters or it there is a serious issue. If you go the 504 route you will need I believe from my experience some official diagnosis from either a neuropsychologist or an MD.

    If you haven't had neuropsychologist testing done that might be a more worthwhile avenue to explore rather than battling with the school district at this point. It would give you a far better leg to stand on in terms of needing accommodations.
  12. exhausted

    exhausted Active Member

    You can get a 504 without a spec. ed. evaluation. A diagnosis of ADD or ADHD, hearing problems, or any such thing can constitute a disabling condition. Sp. Ed is for kids who show deficits in their learning, may have intellectual handicaps or severe emotional disturbance that affects education, or other health impairments that cause learning problems.A 504 plan puts into place some classroom accomodations that give him better access to the curriculum or school. Our son had ADHD and no learning issues-but we did have a diagnosis from a psychiatrist. I did it privately because I wanted the best before I labeled and treated my kid. The other path is a fight and most parents in my district loose and end up eating the cost. Our insurance covered most of the evaluation. If he is getting good grades and his "energy" level is more the issue why not get a referal to a good psychiatrist? See what will be covered by your insurance. Another option, which in our state is excellent because of the team here, is to contact the health department and see if they have a "Childrens with Special Health Care" needs dept. These people, at least here, do a great job, make referrals and often work with the school. As a teacher I love working with them as they have so many wonderful ideas. I often refer parents to them. I dont know if this is available in other states or what it is called-their primary focus is on identification and intervention. They also advocate very well with school districts.
    Just another thought is maybe he is gifted. My difficult child is and this is not an easy thing for many kids either. School is torture and boring for many of them. I dont know,just some things to look at.
  13. rlsnights

    rlsnights New Member

    A parent can request an evaluation for a 504 plan. The purposes of the two things (Special Education vs 504) are actually quite different.

    However, I went back and read a couple of your previous posts about your son. I didn't read everything - didn't have time - but what I read from your initial post and a couple since then suggests to me that there may be other explanations besides ADHD for your difficulties.

    Please take whatever works for you and leave the rest because I could be completely off base. But I have a couple really smart (150+ IQ) kids who have learning issues and come from a family of really smart people and I think the previous poster may have hit the nail on the head.

    If he is so smart he should be receiving challenging curriculum. Why should he make an effort to focus if it's too easy for him and it's boring?

    Rather than push for a 504 plan, perhaps you should be pushing for a gifted program or at least more challenging material. Maybe he needs to jump a grade.

    As for home, I am guessing he is not a compliant child and your other kids are. In that case you have no experience dealing with a kid who requires very firm limits but may need more flexibility at times because of his intellectual maturity.

    You do not want to get a pattern established where he is challenging your authority and arguing with you at the tender age of 6 or 7. So you are going to have to adapt your parenting to cope with his special needs. Because kids who are really smart are special needs kids. They literally perceive the world differently and they need special help understanding this.

    My suggestion is that you read the article at this link and see if it fits your experiences with your son:


    If so, then that will give you a frame of reference for shifting the focus and style of your parenting of him and for you to address things at school.

    You may want to take him for an independent evaluation of his intelligence before you approach the school about moving him to a gifted program. If his IQ is very high (150+) you may have trouble finding programs that are suitable at your local school district because this level of intelligence is very rare. In that case you will want to do some research into appropriate educational programs for him.

    Good luck,

  14. Marguerite

    Marguerite Active Member

    A bright kid who is getting A+ grades can still have a learning difficulty or disability. difficult child 3 is a classic case. So is difficult child 1. As your son gets older, the problems will begin to interfere more in his academic achievements.