Update on my son and rehab

T

toughlovin

Hi Everyone,

Well I am feeling really hopeful. My son is being discharged from rehab on Monday. He has finished his 90 days.... and I have to say i am so so so glad he was required to do 90 instead of 30 because they have seen a real turn around in the last month.

He is going to a halfway house after that. I talked to them yesterday and although it is a new halfway house the folks who run it also work at the rehab so it is pretty tied in there. They require their residents to continue with the groups etc at the rehab 3 times a week at least for the first month.

Talked to my son and his therapist yesterday. We had a good conversation. He was feeling pretty anxious because he didn't see how even with a job he could afford the rent at the halfway house... and it is true he probably can't. It is more expensive than getting an apartment and roommate would be. So we are paying the initial payment and said we would talk about his budget once he got a job and what he could afford. My sense is he should probably pay the amount it would cost him to be in an apartment so that he can see how he manages financially...but we can pay the balance for the halfway house. I am ok with that. We clearly want to support him in his recovery.

He seems to have accepted we won't buy him a car and is talking about getting a scooter to get around which is probably doable.

He sounded very relieved after our conversation which is interesting...because did he really think we were just going to say well tough luck if you can't afford it??

Anyway he sounded good, sounded motivated and from what I hear from the program he is doing really well.

And I can't tell you how relieved I am that he is going to stay down there and not try and come home which I know is a recipe for disaster.

DDD

Wonderful update. I'm so happy for you all. Sounds like he has a real chance of recovery and knowing you all are behind him will make it far less stressful. Sending hopeful supportive thoughts. DDD

Nancy

That sounds very promising. You are making all the right decisions. I think the compromise of having him pay what a normal apt rent would be is an excellent idea and it shows him you are supporting him in his recovery. I have all the hope that he can make it and be an inspiration to the rest of us that it can be done. You must be feeling a bit relieved. Don't lose that hope, he is doing well.

Nancy

DammitJanet

Toughlovin...that sounds so promising. I really like your idea about the rent and the halfway house. I actually bought my son a scooter so I can probably give you some pointers. I got a new one for 1k. That included a helmet and a titanium lock. It only goes between 30 and 40 mph depending on the weight of the driver so you dont need a license. Cory is fairly light and he says he only gets about 35 mph. This is a good thing...lol. You can get a bigger one but they can cost almost as much as a small motorcycle.

The helmet I picked out is black with lights that blink...LED lights so that he is well noticed at night by cars. I also got a school bus yellow bike. I didnt want him to blend in with the scenery...lol.

If you do get him a scooter, also get him a pair of leather chaps for his legs. It gets cold on the legs. He can get a pair of coveralls like they use for hunting to wear first but those leather chaps will also keep the legs warm in the cold weather we have right now. This is only applicable in the winter. Summer and spring jeans are fine.

Now if you dont want to go new...you can get a good used one for about 500 or so. Just look around but have it checked out by a mechanic. Cory bought one for 300 and it was a piece of junk which is why I decided to get the new one this time.

T

toughlovin

Thanks Janet for the tips on scooters...I do think that is the way to go but he has to convince my husband first. On most things I am stricter but my husband is more safety conscious on some things, and this is one of them.

Muggsie