Update on Residential Treatment Center (RTC) process

crazymama30

So I talked to wrap coordinator and found out how this process works. Since difficult child would be going from home and not a hospital to Residential Treatment Center (RTC), it is more complicated.

Next tuesday we will be having a meeting with the state psychiatrist and he will have the documentation from therapist, the letter from psychiatrist, and what interventions have been tried by wrap services (all they have funding for). I an going to include all my documentation. That goes back to 2nd grade (he is in 8th now). I am also getting his discipline records from school for this year and last, a list of medications we have tried and the results, different therapies tried, including social skills group. The poor wrap lady will not know what hit her when she gets all this documentation. I am also going to write a letter about how his behavior has escalated.

At that point the state psychiatric has a con (certificate of need) and if he agrees with all of the recommendations, he signs it and we look for a bed. I will use secure transport to take him and I will follow. Depending on the facility his stay could be from 2 weeks to 6 months. therapist really likes the facility that would have the longer stay. She said she had seen kids stay there up to a year.

This is still hard, but having all this info and knowing how the process works is really helpful.

rejectedmom

My heart goes out to you. I am sure all this is overwhelming and scary. It sounds like you have it together and that your psychiatrist is a good one. I hope you get the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) you want and that the transition goes smoothly. -RM

pepperidge

Wow, you have done a lot of work. Personally, FWIW, I hope you get the longer stay, particularly if you are looking at major medication changes. I think it will make difficult child work harder to get home and they will have a chance to really assess his medications. Good luck. PM me if you want to talk about secure transport. Tuesday will seem like forever away, but hope the time will go fast for you. Hugs. This is really the hardest time.

buddy

All the best to you in this process. I hope you find a really good fit for difficult child and your family. You are amazing. I hope if I face this road at some point I will be able to follow the lead you are showing. Hang tough and hugs to you.

TerryJ2

Fingers crossed! I hope he reads ALL of the paperwork and sees a pattern, and not just the recent items.

crazymama30

I am going to write a summary of what we have done and what his behaviors have been, including how abusive he is verbally and physically. That will be on a timeline so the escalation csn be seen.

He had a major meltdown tonight, and if I had handled it differently? I could have called 911 and had him transported to the er. If this does not work? That is what I will do. I cannot allow this to continue, and I will do what it takes to get him help.

I sure don't feel too strong right now.

klmno

Keep doing what you're doing and make sure the people in the 'system' know you;'re staying strong on that and being consistent- even when you feel like falling apart. It will be ok. Document this stuff though, when he has a meltdown, and if you have someone you can report it to without calling ER, do that. If it gets to the point of someone's safety- real, life safety, then call 911 or go to ER anyway.

((HUGS))

crazymama30

K if it comes down do a real a real safety issue? I will call 911. I have told cody's therapist about all the incidents, and she is putting them in her report. I was talking to his therapist yesterday and she mentioned how she has seen some families back out of placement st the last moment. I told her I did not think I was going to do that. She said that she did not think I would either. I want to get my son help before he becomes involved with the juvenile system.