Update on school placement....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
As kt refused to attend school yesterday & informed me yesterday that she wouldn't be attending school again today, I informed young Ms. kt that this is the end of the line.

Starting with the new year, she would be heading back to day treatment. Not as a punishment; but for add'l supports that she needs right now. And then we'll begin researching a new high school placement when she is ready.

kt was more than thrilled with this. I called mental health CM & he's starting to get the ball rolling. kt's IEP has very specific conditions under which she could enter back into day treatment if things went wrong at high school. Those conditions have been met & then some. It's time.

I think that kt is finally convinced that this isn't failure but a sideward step ~ she needs help that her current school cannot provide.

Thanks for the ear - this has been quite the journey. I could see it coming, was just hoping it wouldn't be.

LittleDudesMom

Linda,

I was so optimistic when school started in the fall that this would be the step kt needed to begin living "outside the system". She has made such progress the last two years.

But, success is relative - I don't think we can ever forget that.

Success for kt has been enduring the teasing and jabbing of some offensive boys. Success for kt has been getting up and making it to school 50% of the time after the last serious incident. Success has been her holding things together better than she has in the past. Sucess for her has been her understanding of your health needs and concern about the future. All those things are progress for kt.

The realization, in her own mind, that day treatment is necessary is also a biggie. It shows her grasp on reality.

I, for one board auntie, am very proud of miss kt. I also must say that I am impressed with your ability to handle her situations while dealing with the deadbeat man and your illnesses.

You and miss kt are going to be just fine.

Hugs friend,
Sharon

Wiped Out

Staff member
Linda,
Sharon put it so well! I too am proud of kt for seeing that this is what she needs. I also agree you have done a remarkable job with this especially with everything else on your plate! Hugs and continued prayers.

crazymama30

I think you termed it right, and I hope kt understands. It is not a backwards step, just a sideways one. She has not had an easy go of it at high school. She is just so vulnerable.

Penta

My 20 year old has had many sideways steps in her teen age and young adult life and those steps always seem to move her in the right direction. Recently, she was laid off from her part time retail job with no warning due to the economic downturn....so now she is re evaluating and looking at her options.

Sideways steps make us stronger. You are a wise Mom and kt is learning about life from your wisdom.

meowbunny

Linda, I don't know how you've done it, but kt has turned into such a remarkable young woman. I'm truly glad she is getting out of the high school. They weren't protecting her! That she is wise enough to see that returning to her day school is the best option is so wonderful. Sharon summed it all up so well.

Another board auntie who is incredibly proud of kt. I hope one day to have the honor of meeting her. She truly is very special.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Linda your insight and ability to see things so clearly is always such an impressive thing to me.
You have taught this young lady so much.
Side stepping is OK. It can avert the potential of stepping on something much worse... :)

DazedandConfused

You know, sideways steps are life. I've had those myself and I think most of us have.

I believe the term is: "Uh oh, I think I'm in over my head"

I understand that KT's situation is more complex, but there's no question there has been growth. So, glad that KT realizes that, she simply reacted in an nonverbal way-school refusal. Then again, even PCs struggle with verbalization of emotional struggles.

I hope things settle down when she's back to day treatment.

KTMom91

I think it's a sign of maturity that kt recognizes the need for this sideways step. Many hugs to you both.

Jena

Just sending hugs to you and kt right now. Sharon said it so perfectly. You often inspire me, when i read your posts with how you handle things and stay on task and so focused and have given your little girl so much.

Thank you.

B

butterflydreams

I agree sideways steps are a part of life. As long as kt doesn't see this as a bad thing, it is good. She has really grown and come along ways. Hugs to you both!

Christy