Update on Vaccines

witzend

I drove down to the Tractor Supply Store and got 2 doses each of Spectra 7-in-one ([FONT=Arial, Century Gothic, Century Schoolbook]Distemper, Parvovirus, Adenovirus, Hepatitis, Parainfluenza, and 2 strains of Lepto and Coronavirus) and Bordatella (Kennel Cough) for $6.99 each. I also got a bunch of flower bulbs to plant for less than $50. That made me happpy. :)[/FONT]

StressedM0mma

I am not sure if you do in Va. but in Ohio, you can go to a feed store or a horse store and most sell them there. You do need to have a vet give a rabies vaccine. These were just normal booster shots/nasal squirt.

witzend

Don't you have to have a prescription for those? My vet won't write them.

Nope. I walked up to the cooler and picked out the 7-in-1 and the Bordatella and paid at the cash register. I know how to give shots because Bubba needed them for allergies and Allan needs intramuscular shots. You can't get rabies shots here without an RX, and I figure that's ok. There should be verifiable records on rabies shots. The Tractor Supply has a $6 rabies clinic where the vet comes and gives the shot for you and gives verification so that you can get the dog licensed. We won't need that for another year, though as the dogs have 3 year rabies shots.

I'm sure it's a "farm town" type thing. People are vaccinating their cows, horses and sheep, they might as well be able to vaccinate their dogs.

buddy

If I want my dog's nails clipped I need vet records on file to prove he had them. Wonder how that would work.

witzend

If I want my dog's nails clipped I need vet records on file to prove he had them. Wonder how that would work.

What state are you in? I don't know that you need "vet records". You need records. I think that they're all in collusion. I think that everywhere you need a rabies certificate, and of course a doggie salon is able to hold you to any standards that they want. I kept copies of the dated receipts. If I wanted it would be just as legally valid to take them down to a notary and sign a statement that I gave the shots and spray the same day I bought them.

I think that your groomer is probably justified in wanting proof of all vaccines. Bubba got Bordatella at a groomer that didn't require it. If their personal level of proof is a vet certificate, then I see nothing wrong with that. There are a lot of people that do their own, I'm sure. Of course, cattle dogs probably aren't going to the groomer much...