Update: One year sober!

Kathy813

Staff member
I honestly never thought I would see this day. My daughter is celebrating one year of sobriety today. She has been at the same full time job for almost nine months and is totally self-supporting.

I remember posters used to say that you would know when they were truly sober because they become different people. I didn't believe it until I saw it happen. My daughter is kind, loving, and compassionate. She still has a ways to go on emotional maturity but she has made great strides.

To celebrate, I am taking her on a three day cruise to the Bahamas in a couple of weeks. She has never been on a cruise and is over the moon excited. It will just be the two of us. We are planning on a dolphin encounter in Nassau and massages the next day.

I wanted to give all the warrior parents out there hope for the future. Those of you that know my story know that is was 12 years of hell before she finally decided she didn't want that life anymore. Equally important, my husband and I had to learn to set firm boundaries so she finally had to grow up and take care of herself.

~Kathy

Catmom

Awesome news! Please enjoy that trip with your daughter. Thanks for the update, it gives all of us hope and expectations that life for our kids will work out one day!

in a daze

This is really great to hear, Kathy, after all you've been through. It gives encouragement and hope to those of us who still struggle with our difficult adult kids. Have a great time with your daughter on the cruise!

BusynMember

Oh, Kathy, this is so special! I remember her back in the day. I am so excited for both of you. This is just wonderful. Kudos to both of you!!!

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
So happy for you Kathy! Please keep checking in to share your wisdom.

The cruise sounds amazing!!! What a wonderful mother/daughter getaway!

Nancy

WOW!!!!! Kathy I am so happy for you and your daughter. I do know the roller coaster you were on and the lengths you went to to help her in her recovery. You never gave up, you were strong when you need to be strong, you kept your boundaries and you let her know that when she was trying you would support her effort. I know the dark places you were in during this journey. From one warrior mom to another I couldn't be happier. Miracles happen every day.

Enjoy the cruise, it will be a special time for just the two of you and I'm sure it will mean a lot to her.

AppleCori

Kathy,

I am so happy for you--and especially for your daughter, who has learned so much and matured so much.

Thank you for posting this--i gives us all hope!

Apple

Happy to hear some nice, positive and hopeful story that people here can enjoy.. We are so happy for you and your daughter...
Congrats and have a great time.

lovemyson1

This makes me so very happy!!! Really proud of your daughter and your husband and you! It was a long road but well worth never giving up! Congratulations!

This gives me hope. Congratulations to you and daughter Kathy. When i first joined this forum in 2012, i used to read yours, Nancy's and Patriot's girls' heartache with your daughters' and now they all seem to be doing so well, so i won't give up but i have to change just like you all changed.