Update with pics/Art is a Family Affair contest

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Most of you probably don't know this, but easy child is really quite the budding artist. She's had her work submitted by her teachers for district displays just about every year since kindergarten, and there are usually only a handful of kids acknowledged from each school. :painter:

Well, this year her 4th grade teacher told her about this county-wide art contest sponsored by Radio Disney and the department of education. The whole school is participating, but the catch is that they can only send ONE entry which will be selected from the top three entries by means of this contest that the R.D. folks dreamed up. The three runner-ups have to recruit their family to help because the theme for the contest is that Art is a Family Affair. Grand Prize winners get a trip to Orlando, I think, and a lifetime family membership to the Getty Museum here in Los Angeles.

So guess what! easy child's entry made it to the top three that were chosen by her school administrators. Great! Right? Well, now I'm not so sure, because she brought home the release forms for the elimination contest today and I just found them in her backpack. I'm sure the boys will be delighted, but I'm not so sure husband will be up for this.

We would have to go to school on Wednesday morning and participate in this sort of art-themed family version of Fear Factor. :sick: There's a paint pit relay where we have to put on these wetsuits and crawl on our bellies through a blowup pool filled with tempra paints (the kind we all used to fingerpaint with). There will be a canvas set up in the middle, and we each have 10 seconds to paint some part of a picture, then crawl out and pass our "brush" on to the next family member.

Then there is the clay pit where we each have 15 seconds to add to a Family-style sculpture -- but the hitch is that we are barefoot and the pit is filled with lots of water and very slippery wet red clay (I think they're hauling it in from a hot springs spa south of here that's famous for their mud baths).

The final test is that we each take turns being blind-folded and led to a blowup pool filled with plain cooked spaghetti noodles and lime Jello. We have to find our way to an easel in the middle that has a pad of paper on it, find a marker on the easel tray, put the marker in our mouth and then we have to each draw a self-portrait with our hands behind our backs (and still blindfolded).

After that, we each get rinsed off in a dunk tank that the principal gets to operate.

The child whose family has the best score at the end gets their art entry sent to the county contest to compete for the Grand Prize, and I'm sure it will involve even greater levels Family-Art-Factor escapades...

What do you guys think? Should we do it? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Okay, this sounds like a blast! What a fun way to support your PCs art endeavors & pride in the entire school's art program. (Not many schools have art due to budget constraints.) This is too cool!

And you get to have fun, make a fool of yourself & no one will care because only kids will be watching.

I say go for it! :painter::picture::stopglass::targetpractice:

klmno

Oh, Yeah!! You can do this!! It sounds more like something for Nickelodean TV though than RD to me! But, you have a lot of fun and I hope you win!! Maybe you can practice or plan out what parts of the picture and sculture each person will do before you go.

Congrats to easy child!!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Geez--

I'm not sure that I would do it....especially knowing that the "antics" requirement is going to be increased at each level. I'm a shy--"keep to myself" sort of person though...so naturally that type of thing would not be my cup of tea. And knowing that anything that happens is likely to be re-played ad nauseam on youtube, video clip shows AND (in the event that we actually won) national television...GULP!!

For me....the prize would not be worth it. I'd rather pay for my own vacation and enjoy it in quiet dignity than be the family that is exhibited wading through pasta and jello.

But that's just me....

I think you need to stay within your comfort level. If it sounds fun to you---then you WILL have fun and it will be a blast Win, Lose or Draw. If it does NOT sound fun....then you will be uncomfortable and unhappy win, lose or draw. Go with your gut.

--DaisyF

rejectedmom

I think it could be alot of fun and bonding for the right personalities but I can also see where it could be a disaster for someone with sensory issues or shyness or who doesn't take defeat well. I would ask the entire family what they thought explain the possible pitfalls and if everyone is in agreement that it is something they can handle and want to do .... HAVE A BLAST DOING IT! -RM

DammitJanet

I agree with RM....now for me? I would be mortified but I would do it for my kids. I am so shy I cant stand attention and would hate being in the limelight. Everyone else in my family would probably get a kick out of it. Because I would be the only one who would be miserable, I would do it because it was important for the kid. Now if it was for me...and it was just me! oh gosh no...lol.

TerryJ2

I admit, I had to go back and read the date you posted this to make sure it wasn't an April Fool's Day joke.
LOL.
Gosh, I know my husband and easy child would like it but I think my difficult child would balk.
Sounds fun and crazy. I think I'd go for it.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Ohhhhhh.......this is just cruel. I can't believe you put a bunch of barely functioning parents of difficult children looking for anything & everything positive thru something this. Tacky, tacky tacky. :salute::capitulate::bigsmile:

Better watch your back, girl. :sword: You got me. :rofl:

Andy

O.K., It takes me awhile to fall but fall for this one I did. Don't know how I missed it last night - probably my Anti-April Fools Guardian watching out for me.

Good one!

:rofl:

Star*

call 911........call 911
I humbly bow to your wit............and
I've called Disney and asked them to consider your family for real on NIckleodian.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Go for it!!! Toss your inhibitions aside and have a rip roaring blast. It will be a long lasting memory of something wonderful you all shared together. :D :D

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I wanna see pics too. lol

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Glad to give you all a good, um, chuckle... :D HOWEVER, I'll have you all know there is a certain MODERATOR (who shall forever remain anonymous -- ahem, you know who you are :winks: ) who asked, nay, BEGGED me to pull a fast one on the board, well over a month ago, because apparently I'm so NOT a usual suspect. So much for blowing my cover, huh?

And while I think Dude's stunt takes the cake, though, for total anxiety factor -- his dearest mommy Star deserves an OSCAR for her fast-thinking cardiac performance! You rock, girl!