Urgent American English proof-reader needed!

Malika

I am a translator (French to English) of books. My current project is a rather lightweight "guide" to falling in love in Paris that has been sold to an American publisher.

I am looking for someone with time on their hands this weekend who would be able to read my translation and let me know if I have used any words/phrases/expressions, etc, that are not known to American readers. British English and American English being, as we know, two different languages :)

That is all that would be needed - just to read it with an "American eye" as it were and make sure that there are no anomalies.

So if there are any takers - do let me know. Thank you!

HMBgal

I would be interested, but dammit, I don't have a minute to even pee with a newborn and a three year old that I'm caring for, and my daughter is recovering from childbirth. Shoot.

Malika

Thanks both of you! Not to be ungracious (please don't take it that way :) ) but I don't need a copy editor - just someone who can tell me what words/expressions they don't understand because they are not American!

I should have explained - it is not a whole book. That would be unmanageable! It will be just under 17,000 words, about a third of a short novel. I could send it tonight, Saturday and would need it for Monday morning at the latest.

If there is anyone kind enough to rise to the challenge - do let me know. Thank you. :)

Malika

I have realised this is not a good weekend to be asking - July 4th, when most people are probably away or busy with family :)

I will have to some more in the next couple of months so if anybody did fancy learning more about how to fall in love in Paris.... you still can!

Malika

Thanks, ThreeShadows. It is not too late for this time :) I don't have to send it off until tomorrow sometime (offices being closed in the US tomorrow!) Let me know if you'd like to read it now.

At the same time... this won't be the Paris you remember. It's not the one I remember, anyway :)

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Malika, this week-end is a busy one for me, I have a number of plants to put into my shade garden. I will be able to help next time.

Have you read Paris to the Moon by Adam Gopnik? I actually grieved when I finished the last page, knowing that the book was over.

Copabanana

Malika. I am very tired from work and feel like too much of a vegetable to help. Sorry.

What about chopping the book into chapters or pieces. You may have some takers if it is three quarters of an hour work, rather than a day.

And then, even if you did not cover it all, you might catch on Briticisms used throughout and could correct them.

Malika

No problem, ThreeShadows! I am glad you have better things to do than ready some lines on a computer screen :) I have not come across that book... will look out for it.

Copabananan, I am just being over-conscientious, really. I don't need to do this and the publishers know I am British so... it is no big deal. I was just surprised when I did this once before (years ago on the forum, some people were kind enough to read something else for me that was for an American audience) how many words/spellings I used that were British English without my realising.... As G B Shaw said, two nations divided by a common language.

Happy weekend.