Urgently need advice!

janebrain

Hi Susie,
thanks for the good advice! I will be sure not to give any identifying info, thanks for bringing it up.

Yes, unfortunately the girls do ride the same bus and go to the same school but are in different grades. My dtr does think an anonymous call is a good idea if her therapist agrees. We both trust him to advise us. Oh, also, we will be at the school tomorrow for an IEP meeting for Molly and one of the school psychologists will be there. I may bring it up with her. I guess I would prefer that a "professional" make the call and maybe they would if I gave them the info?

I sure appreciate all the support here, it means so much to me! It is so good to have other people to bounce things off of, especially when there is no clearcut solution! I feel I am not alone and you guys are some of the wisest people I know.

I will let you know what happens tomorrow!

Thanks,
Jane

F

flutterbee

My gut says this has Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) written all over it. I'd still call CPS. If nothing else, it might give the family some more supports.

mom_to_3

I believe this girl is definitely a difficult child. I'd still make the call just to be safe, but it is interesting that this girl has not told anyone else. She has had the opportunity. If things are truly bad at home, she could have told a teacher, she could leave a note with someone while in a store, she could call the police while at your house. Why stir up a pot of drama with neighbors and then want nothing done about it? My difficult child would do the same thing and not want any authority notified. You know why? Because if / when there was an investigation, it was found that she was lying and that why yes, her parents were quite angry with her behavior! If there was no report made, she could continue being a victim, have people feeling sorry for her, giving her loads of positive, soothing attention for her bad behavior.

I think we should all be careful about judging the parents next door. While I don't think the situation you mention is ideal, we've all had our less than perfect parenting moments. I too forbid my difficult child from speaking specifically to the school therapists. I was in fact pretty angry that "therapy" was even going on without our knowledge. They had no idea about our difficult child's issue's. "Therapy" at the school was our difficult child lying about practically everything. My husband and I were abusive, I had brain cancer, was having surgery. I can't even remember all of it. But I do remember being totally shocked when my husband and I went to the school to demand that this "therapy" end and have this social worker sadly express her sadness at my diagnosis. I had nothing wrong with me! Things are not always what they seem, that's why I suggested calling CPS and not having the neighbor girl, nor your daughter be aware. That way the situation would be looked at and your daughter would not have the burden of knowing to carry.

BusynMember

I wouldn't put the onus on the child to call against her parents. She probably trusts nobody and is terrified they will blame her and get her in trouble. I usually agree with Marg, but not in this. Whether or not it's true or not isn't for you to figure out. Just call. THEY will figure it out. Your hub saw very disturbing behavior, it was not loving. At best, maybe true parenting classes, that the parents CAN'T just quit, will come out of it. At worst, you uncovered serious abuse and helped a child escape it. I wouldn't even think twice. I'd call. I'm pretty sure your therapist will also give you that advice. If this child came to her, she would HAVE to call, even if she had doubts. It's called mandatory reporting. We don't know if she has ADHD, Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD), bipolar, abuse issues from before her adoption, or ABCDEFG. All we know is there is at least some evidence that she is not treated well...CPS is called for lesser reasons than that. Do it! They will check into it thoroughly.

JodyS

I am a mandated reporter. Boy does that make my life easy. I don't have any options but to call and report. She could be twisting things around and lying, but that is up to them to figure out, not you. You don't loose anything by reporting. They will find the truth and it could lead to getting her back into therapy and counseling. Sadly enough in most states funding is down and cases aren't even being looked into unless they are very severe. Many times they will try to meet with a teenager first and hear their side before even deciding to confront the parents in the first place. However, if there are concerns there, you are just making a report. What if other people have made reports and you don't know it? Sometimes it takes several reports by many people for them to do anything. Maybe this girl just needs help and the parents will realize it if she is making up stuff. You don't have to make an anonomous(sp?) call anyway, they have to by law protect your identity. Good luck and keep us posted!

TerryJ2

Jane, I am so sorry for the stress on your daughter.

I think it is a mixed bag and that your explanation is more than plausible. These parents had no clue (nor do many foster or adoptive parents). Still, to leave because they didn't like the other parents in the class, Oh, come ON! The idea is to do what is best for the child.

I also agree with-Jody, that it's possible nothing will be done. We had a situation with-our neighbors and the boy was home alone for days and wks at a time. I called CPS numerous times and they didn't come out, and when they did, they said there was nothing to be concerned about. It wasn't until the police called CPS that something was done. That's just the way the system works when they are so overloaded. It's like triage in a hospital.

I wish you all the best.

Marguerite

I still have a few concerns. We are all very open, trusting people compared to this girl.

Susie, you said, "And not wanting to do what you learn in a class on parenting because it hasn't worked is a FAR cry from not trying because you don't like the other people there!"

Mom to 3, you said, "it is interesting that this girl has not told anyone else"

The thing is, we don't KNOW for sure if this is really true. It's what THIS girl has told people. I see this in my best friend all the time, she says how concerned she is for her daughter who is a "drama queen" to put it mildly (I think, narcissistic personality disorder is a possibility) and then tells me, is if it's been proven to be true, something her daughter has told her. [aside - that's why urban myths are so successful!]

IF her parents left the parenting class because they didn't like the other people there, THEN yes, I would be inclined to be critical. But even then, we don't know the full story. Frankly, we don't really know if there ever WAS a parenting class.

And especially with difficult child 2's feeling that she doesn't matter to M, it could be anybody that she's using (very perceptive of difficult child 2, I think) - I suspect she's been trying this story on others. Not indiscriminately of course, but why should she wait until now? If her parents are threatening to terminate their parental rights, I would think at 16 she needn't be too worried. If I were in that girl's shoes I'd probably be jumping for joy at the suggestion (apart from being worried for my sister, who I could be cut off from for the next few years). If they are bad parents, then terminating their parental rights wouldn't be done easily, not without a lot of very unpleasant stuff coming out about their poor parenting. It would give M the chance to really blow the whistle on them - she should be glad of the idea.

MidwestMom, I think you may have misunderstood me. I just went back and read what I wrote - I had said I felt M should make a call on this. I didn't mean make a phone call, I meant that M needed to make a decision to take action or request action be taken, by handing it to an adult and not just asking another child. Sorry, it was ambiguous. I don't think M should necessarily make the call herself, but I do feel the responsible thing for her to have done would be to talk to an adult about this, not ask another child to make the call, if she is too afraid to. To simply say, "I am a child, I am in a bad situation, I am too afraid/too young/too innocent to make a call to CPS myself - YOU do it" to another kid, doesn't ring true, especially when that kid has said to her, "I think you need to talk to my parents."

M goes to school. She could talk to a teacher, a school counsellor, the principal. Or would they simply ring her parents first? If they would do that, then why? Has she done this before?

That said - yes, it does sound as if things are not exactly peachy in that house. Whether the girl is supposed to be taking risperdal or not - I don't know. It's possible she was taken off it, or the mother felt it wasn't doing anything, may have spoken to therapist over the phone who said to the mother, "try taking her off it and see what she's like," and the girl doesn't believe this or know about it. From your husband's description, it does sound like they are the sort of people to not necessarily talk to M about such decisions, they'd just go ahead and do it. And it is possible they just stopped giving it to her because it is expensive.

It's not easy parenting a difficult child, especially if you feel you got duped into it when you adopted what you hoped would be a perfect child, and got a double whammy. But then - we also know how parenting styles can make a difficult child's behaviour much worse, even when you think you are doing the right thing.

If you report and it turns out there was good reason, you have definitely done the right thing. If you report and it turns out to be groundless, at least you will know it has been investigated, they are on file in the event of any future reports and if the investigation shows up some needs there, they hopefully will be offered any services they might need and perhaps not know about.

I don't know your system well enough, but I have had to report situations (not a CPS type of thing, more 'dob in an employer for breaking the law' kind of thing) and was really worried that it would come back to bite me if the agency didn't handle things discreetly. In my case - it was handled well, the boss never knew it was me, he said he hadn't realised he was breaking the rules (even though we had complained to him) but he made the required changes without fuss and the workplace was safer. The agency also got back in touch with me to ask if we (the workers) were feeling safer and if there were any more concerns (including any comebacks).
Calling anonymously protects you from possible reprisals. A good agency should do this anyway. If you give your name, then they can come and ask you for clarifying information. If you don't, they can't.

I don't know your agencies. I can't tell you which way to go. But I do think erring on the side of caution (ie at least make the call) is the way to go - one way or another, this girl has problems. I'm glad you spoke to her. And you did explain it very well, I think you and your daughter have good radar. This has been a trying experience for your daughter, but I think it's also a valuable lesson - she will meet people like this through life. Now she's had an experience already, but with you there to help her through it. Good for you!

Marg